PDA

View Full Version : Is this move worth it

05-07-2002, 10:23 AM
Online 2/4 game 2 limpers to me in MP, I have

As 7s. I limp along with them. Button calls and BB checks. 5 to the flop.

*** FLOP *** : [ Ad 3s Ac ]

3 check to me. I briefly consider checking, but bet out. Button folds, BB folds, 1st limper calls and 2nd limper folds. 1st Limper plays very mediocre cards and is quite aggressive. He could be playing anything.

*** TURN *** : [ Ad 3s Ac ] [ 3d ]

He checks. I know if I check, he bets the river. I'm afraid if I bet here he folds. So I check.

*** RIVER *** : [ Ad 3s Ac 3d ] [ 8h ]

Sure enough he bets. I raise and he calls. He had 66.

So I got 2 more bets, the same as I would have got had I bet the turn and he called me down, but better than having him fold on the turn. Of course had he folded to the river raise, I maybe lose that bet.

Comments?

05-07-2002, 11:55 AM
I think you played it the best way you could.

Not sure you had pegged 1'st limper correctly. Seems more like a cheese chaser than aggressive. With 66, I think an aggressive player is check-raising the flop to see where they stand and possibly win the pot outright.

This leads me to your image, in his mind. He calls the river raise? Did he see you play some questionable holdings pretty agressive? If not, you have set yourself up for the next pot -- a river raise semi-bluff! Nice when you can take down a pot like this and give yourself some outs on a follow up pot!

05-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Yes. Especially given the way you have described your opponent.

05-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Instead of aggressive I should have said oportunistic. He wouldn't raise, but any hand checked to him he would bet. And he would play his bottom pairs out to the end too.

05-08-2002, 03:03 AM
not a bad idea. looks like you had him read right...and you got 2 bets from him...he probably thought you were bluffing a little on the flop after your turn check...

nice play i think...

however, next time, if its fairly soon after, id bet it the whole way thru...

b

05-08-2002, 10:20 AM
I like this move if you think he will fold on the on turn. This is something that I do a lot. An additional reason this play works a lot is because even if he doesnt bet out the river, he will most likely call your river bet, believing that you would have bet the ace on the turn. Gaining you an extra bet this way, if indeed he would have folded the turn.