PDA

View Full Version : capped pre-flop, two overcards on the flop. raise or fold?

holdemtyro
04-10-2004, 03:46 AM
MP1 is a loose raiser, the SB hadn't done anything visibly
stupid yet.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Th Td (two pair, tens and sixes).
MP1 shows 2h 3s (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: SB wins 11.50 BB. </font>

During the hand I had trouble thinking of any hand the SB could have that didn't have me beat, so i dropped it. Good fold or do I need to borrow a set of balls?

Vern
04-10-2004, 04:10 AM
This is a good time for a semibluff on the flop by raising the loose raiser. You might push out a jack for fear you had an ace and the SB may have laid down his tens. You would then be heads up against the loose raiser, where tens are much better. If it came back to you, you could confidently know you were truly behind. Two opponents with TT and two overcards and a flush draw is limbo land, you could have the best hand, you could be drawing w/o odds. With the loose raiser read I think I would have raised the flop, second choice fold. I don't think your play was bad, but I try to figure out what my opponents have when the bets are small and make them pay when they are big. The difference for me between raise/fold was your description of MP1 as a loose raiser. If he was tight or passive and started doing that, I think the laydown is the better play.

bisonbison
04-10-2004, 04:33 AM
In order to semibluff, you've got to have a decent chance to improve - more than two outs. I'd fold this flop.

Vern
04-10-2004, 04:54 AM
Ok, how about, (semibluff all lower case), information and to isolate a weak player? I still think that against a known loose bettor I try to take him HU. Without that read on the opponent, I agree a fold is the better choice.

trillig
04-10-2004, 05:24 AM
I like the fold, I wouldn't have 3 bet it though PF, TT to me is a see the flop and fit or forget it hand, worth 1 raise and you got a bad flop for it, good fold, no bigger testes required.

Then again I am rascally, and occasionally raise PF with 62s.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

holdemtyro
04-10-2004, 08:36 PM
My pre-flop 3-bet was a (failed) attempt to isolate the loose raiser. Given MP1s previous play, I would've been willing to go to the river with a pair of tens against him. My issue was that the SB seemed competent, and it was hard to put a competent player on any hand that didn't have me beat.

Sounds like the consensus is that I didn't butcher this one too badly. Thanks!