PDA

View Full Version : when to fold

stripsqueez
04-10-2004, 03:04 AM
couple of folds in the party 10/20 6 max game

i'm the SB with the red aces - tight but awful player UTG raises - folded to a very good player on the button who 3 bets - i cap and 3 of us see the flop

10s Qh Js

i bet - UTG calls - button raises - i call as does UTG

turn is 4c - i check - UTG bets - button raises and i fold

i dont think i like it but i'm not certain - UTG would raise the turn conscious that he was keen to lose me - UTG will definately have a hand though - the button whilst awful has something

second one i get AKo UTG - i raise and its folded to the SB who 3 bets - the BB calls - i cap and they both call

the SB is tightish but mindlessly aggressive - the BB i'm not too sure about - he hadnt yet come to my attention

flop is 8d 8h 6c - checked to me and i bet - SB raises - BB calls - i 3 bet and they both call

turn is 2c - all check

river is 8s - the SB checks and the BB bets - i fold

soft ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

BookOfIcculus
04-10-2004, 03:41 AM
1. I think with the 3 card str8 alot of hands are raiseable that don't beat you. And to fold depends on the table. Tight player and very good player... well.. you need a king. And I'm not sure if one of these players has KK or QQ but I suspect it's one of those.

2. Easy fold.

soda
04-10-2004, 09:33 AM
The first hand, I think is a tough call. There is a reasonable chance, against aggressive opponents, that your hand is still good + you have 3 clean outs and possibly 4 total outs. But, you also have reverse implied odds given your terrible position between the original bettor and the raiser. This can easily come back to you capped if you call here.

Tough fold against some opponents, tough call against others. I really don't know which I'd do unless I've been facing the opponents. If I don't know their styles - I absolutely call to find out this information.

2) I would call here. I also would have bet the turn if I were going to call the river. Your check on the turn implies that you believe you were beat by one of the two with a pair. I'm not so sure. The BB could have AK, AQ, AJ, etc or 97. If you raise will he call you with a 6? I think he will, so just calling looks good.

You are getting just over 10:1 on your call. I'd call most times unless I knew BB to be value betting me, but with your non-read on him, I'd have to call - and against the right persons, I'd raise once in a while.

soda

Your Mom
04-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Seems easier in hand two to bet the turn and fold to a raise. Otherwise take the free showdown of course. I guess I don't see the point of 3 betting the flop if you aren't going to try to make them fold on the turn. I guess you did get two free cards but you still have no idea where you are since you're posting this. I make this same play too often I think and it never seems to get me anywhere. They caught some bullshit pair or they have a low pocket pair in their hand and aren't going to fold. Then they bet the river when you checked the turn. Most likely a fold unless opponents is habitual bluffer.

King Yao
04-11-2004, 10:13 AM
hand #2 ... I would call. Its too easy for him to have a straight draw with T9 and 97. Is he as likely to have a 6 or 8 in his hand (calling preflop with A8, A6?) then that probably means, he's just as likely to have called with T9...and possibly 97s. So I think the odds are enough to give it a call.

You dont' have to worry about the Small Blind anymore, he is unlikely to have a pair.

stripsqueez
04-11-2004, 11:23 AM
on the first one UTG 3 bet and the button called - the river was a K - UTG had Kd9d and the button had the black aces - fold might be right but the patient died

the second one is interesting - i think not betting the turn is playing with fire - i have plenty of showdown power - if i dont bet the turn then i probably should fold the river - dumb when i remember how much players like to draw at pots like this

i couldnt bear folding to a turn raise

of-course i say that whilst thinking of the result... - the SB called the BB's bet - he showed A10o and got to split

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

soda
04-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Wow, maybe I really do know how to play this game.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif