PDA

View Full Version : Folding overpairs on the flop, 2 QQ hands, comments?

Shargaas
04-10-2004, 02:35 AM
Here are two hands where my QQ was an overpair to the flop but based on the action, I folded both times. Both tables were somewhat aggressive with around 40-50% of hands being raised pre-flop but the flop action was usually more tame. What do you think of my decisions?

Hand 1:

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (32 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (27.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls $0.20 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (41.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 45.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 37.50 BB, between Button, BB and UTG.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 8 BB, between BB and UTG.</font>

Hand 2:

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (14 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (17 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, Button calls $0.10 (All-In), UTG calls.

River: (22 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 23 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 20 BB, between Button and UTG+1.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 2 BB, won by UTG+1.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 3: 1 BB, overbet by UTG+1.</font>

Shargaas
04-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Surely there are some opinions on how I played these?

afk
04-10-2004, 01:03 PM
I'll take a stab:

Hand one (as I count) you're getting 51:3 --&gt; 17:1 back to you to call, plus the other bets that will come in behind you to spike a queen. I think you can call this. I'm just saying this 'cause I got ripped for making a fold similar to this once! If you hit that queen you'll probably win the hand barring someone holding 77.

Hand 2: I find more difficult to comment. But I'll say what I might do, dunno if it's wrong or not.
3-bet preflop, you hold an awesome hand and on average it's better than what anybody else has.

Flop: You said the table was somewhat tame post flop, with all this action I don't think it's unreasonable someone has hit two pair or a set with T9, TT and 99 all of which are reasonable hands to assume these players would call a preflop raise with. I doubt that most of the time given this board and the action you have the best hand here and are going to need help.
On the flop I'm counting 31:3 --&gt; ~10:1 back to you to with and overpair and backdoor straight draw. And your queens aren't even that clean. I think this fold is fine.

That's my 0.02, please feel free to rip me apart if my reasoning is all wrong /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tosh
04-10-2004, 01:11 PM
I don't like your flop bet on hand 1 or failure to 3 bet preflop on hand 2.

Shargaas
04-10-2004, 03:35 PM
I should have 3-bet pre-flop in hand 2, no doubt about it.

Hand 1, are you saying I should have check-folded instead of betting out and folding to the cap? And should I have bet-folded to the cap in Hand 2? Thanks.

Tosh
04-10-2004, 07:17 PM
What I mean is why did you bet the flop ? What was the aim of your bet ?

Shargaas
04-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I bet out in order to put more money in the pot if I have the best hand (I do not want this to be checked around). If I was raised, I would have a decision to make. As it turned out, it was capped back to me, and I felt there was little to no chance my hand was good.

My main concern is whether my folds on the flop in either or both hands were correct based on the action and the table texture.

k000k
04-12-2004, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your flop bet on hand 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not? Overpair, rainbow flop, I'd bet that.. You think he should check because of 8 players seeing a pair in the flop?

I think he should bet and see who folds and who raises. He got some good knowledge when it came back capped, and I'd be mighty scared to play on.

I don't think the fold is bad.

Tosh
04-12-2004, 02:14 PM
I need someone to explain it better than I can but I really don't think your flop bet achieves anything.

When it comes back to you the pot is so ridiculous that you cannot fold, even if you're just looking to spike a queen and hoping to occassionally have the best hand.

Tosh
04-12-2004, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not? Overpair, rainbow flop, I'd bet that.. You think he should check because of 8 players seeing a pair in the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hardly as simple as overpair, rainbow flop, bet. The betting has been capped and seen by 8 people. Your bet is inevitably raised by UTG and everyone with anything calls. I check, see what happens, and if the turn is a blank bet and hope UTG can raise out some of the field.