PDA

View Full Version : 100+9 SnG Heads Up Probs, Help Please!!!

Carson
04-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Been on a great run lately (4 me at least).
I hate to get greedy, but I am in a rut of second place finishes.
I now play only 100+9 NL Holdem SnG's at Party.
Have experience in hundreds and hundreds of 30+3 and 50+5 tourneys but I am fairly new to the 100+9's, probably still less than 100 to take experience from.
However, my last 10 finishes are 2223222512.
9 out of 10 in the money and I am smiling!!!!
However I feel like I have not profited the way I should as in 4 of those 7 second place finishes I was at one time at least 6500-3500 chip leader each time.
My problem has been the heads up play/draw?
When the blinds are at 400-800 and I am in chip lead, I usually like to go all in with any 2 face cards or pocket pairs larger than 7's.
Maybe this is my first problem, but it seems like when I get a decent heads up hand, say Ax(little) suited, and I make a decent sized raise players see it as weakness and go all in themselves then I call and they have K9 or something and beat me with a pair of 9's.
I know there are going to be some badbeats heads up, i.e. I had JT against T4 in my last tourney and with myself at 3400 and my opponent at 6600 going into the hand, we both flop a T but he rivers a 4.

I know this is a bit of rambling and I don't have a few great situational questions, but I am trying to say is.....
What are some good strategies to use heads up? When your not the chip leader? When you are the chip leader?

Do you go all in preflop with any A?
Do you go all in preflop with any 2 face cards?

Also when you get down to 3 players and their is one super aggressive player who goes all in everytime it isn't his/her big blind, what can you do to make a stand when you can't draw a card above a T? Would you call an allin every hand player down with connectors?

Any examples/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated...

I will say this...
Shorthanded I have not had the best success with yet BUT....
If you play patient solid poker, I feel like you can make it in the money at Party's SnG's almost 60-70% of the time.

Thanks
Carson

Carson
04-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Now I remember why I don't post here often, everyone knows it all already and is more interested in making spoof replies or posts instead of helping others.

Not one single reply out of 35 views?

UPF here I come
Carson

eastbay
04-10-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I remember why I don't post here often, everyone knows it all already and is more interested in making spoof replies or posts instead of helping others.

UPF here I come
Carson

[/ QUOTE ]

Weekends are always slow. You really should use the search feature, as this question has been asked about 1,000 times in the last few months.

eastbay

PrayingMantis
04-10-2004, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Few possible reasons for why you didn't get a reply yet:

1. The first half of your post is pretty much unreadable. You must seperate paragraphs, etc. If people have to put big effort in reading and understanding a post, there's a big chance they wont do it, or open it and close immidiately.

2. I believe you better ask a specific question. It can be strategy-oriented, a hand analysis or anything, but just make sure it's clear what you're asking.

3. Most people here don't play the 109$, so that diminishes the probability of a quick answer.

4. Many posts simply disappear in this endless stream of threads. Nobody thinks he's a "know it all".

5. This question was asked many many times already. People could be tired of answering it. You can make a search, and dig in the archives.

6. Some other reasons.

I hope you'll get a good answer. I play lower limits, so my opinion is probably not the one you're looking for.

GL,

PrayingMantis

Al_Capone_Junior
04-10-2004, 03:09 PM
I suggest you play some heads up SNGs for practice.

Heads up, when the blinds are small, you don't have to rush to get all in unless you have a hand that plays well hot and cold. But remember, if you make a huge raise relative to the blinds, you're not likely to get called except by a good hand.

When the blinds are big, I think your all-in policies are OK, but I don't necessarily play any two face cards all-in unless the blinds are REALLY big. I tend to push tho with KJ or better. With pairs, I tend to NOT push it in if my opponent is really loose and my pair is really small. With a reasonable opponent tho, if there's a chance to steal, I'll push in with any pair, even deuces.

al

La Brujita
04-10-2004, 03:33 PM
I would say as long as you are aggressive enough you are doing fine.

This is an obvious point but ten or even a hundred 100's is not enough to draw any big conclusions.

Not to get eastern philisophically on you but you obviously have had a huge amount of luck to do so well in the last ten as well as having played well, maybe your luck has just ended a bit when it gets hu.

FWIW I really like to have a pair, or an ace to be all in if I think there is a reasonable chance of beng called.

Al gives you good advice about hu sit and gos. I have played about 400-500 and I am sure it has helped my game.

One or two other suggestions:

1. Play some limit hu ring games if you get a chance, I thought that helped me improve my hu game.

2. When you are not in a hand in a sit and go when it is still full, pretend you are hu, imagine what you would have done with big blinds and watch the cards unfold. That exercise has helped me a bit.

It is basically impossible to money anywhere near 70% of the time. If you think that you are fooling yourself a bit. I would say somewhere between 50-55% is pretty close to the upper limit.

With respect to super aggressive players and what to do if you don't get any cards the only things I can say are pretty obvious:

1. It is better to be the first one in the pot so you may have to bluff UTG. That way you can win two ways, by not being called or by showing down the best hand after all the cards. Some super aggressive players don't like to be forced to call raises.

2.You sometimes don't get any cards shorthanded and that makes it very difficult to win. If you get to the point where you need to call as a dog you need to carefully consider what hands might play better against a range of hands vs any specific hands. In other words, T9h might play better than A4o if your opponent's likely hand may be a pair 22-88 or an Ace with a stronger kicker than yours if that makes any sense.

Also, please post specific examples if you would like and you might get more specific advice.

Regards

M.B.E.
04-10-2004, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

UPF here I come
Carson

[/ QUOTE ]
Great attitude there. You have a good record moneying in SNGs, but you haven't once posted any strategy advice on this forum. Then you criticize everyone else for not helping you.