PDA

View Full Version : 6-12 Nor Cal: Hand#1 - 88 in SB

05-06-2002, 08:10 PM
I'm in BB with 88. EP open raises, all fold to me, I call. EP is a decent player.

Flop: AJ8 rainbow

I check, he bets, I call

Turn: AJ8 - 4 rainbow

I check, he bets, I check-raise, he 3-bets

Do I fold my set here?

05-06-2002, 08:19 PM

05-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Gerald,

I think I make it four bets, and when he makes it five I call and call on the river. I he just calls, I lead the river.

He might think that when you raise that you are either making a play, or that you had AK and waited until the turn to come alive, and his AJs is ahead of your hand. He might also have an ace and is raising planning on checking unless he improves to two pair.

Good luck,

Play well,

Bob T.

05-06-2002, 08:37 PM
( Hero checkraises AJ84 rainbow board against a solid EP raiser and gets 3-bet )

Do I fold my set here?

In a heads-up situation, even with a pretty uncoordinated board, I don't see how you can fold here.

I know the conventional wisdom is that a lot of players won't 3-bet the turn without the nuts or the near-nuts, but personally, I'd sleep better if I paid 2 more BB (barring the miracle 8 on the river) to get shown AA or JJ.

Folding sets, especially heads-up, can't be good for peace of mind.

All JMHO, of course.

05-06-2002, 11:36 PM
Do I fold my set here?

You most certainly do not fold a set here. In fact, you should probably 4-bet.

I don't like the way you played the flop either. You should bet the flop and let him raise you with AK or AQ which is nearly drawing dead against your set.

Set over set is so rare that you shouldn't fear it until it gets to 5 bets.

05-07-2002, 01:25 AM
EP 3-bet me on the turn with the board being:

-AJ8 - 4 rainbow

Actually, I left a piece of information out from the original post which I think is pretty important - EP did not hesitate at all before 3 betting me.

Results:

I called the 3-bet. River came blank, I check, he bet, I called.

EP showed AA and I mucked with a frustrated grin.

One side note - this hand was played in a Northern California cardhouse. In the 6-12 california games, I rarely ever see people 3-bet the turn without the nuts or some monster hand.

I was not about to lay down this hand, but when that 3-bet came, I had a _very_ good feeling I was beat. I guess I'm at the stage of my game where I'm trying to learn when to fold and when to check/call against an aggressor.

Thanks again to all who replied.