PDA

View Full Version : How many hands do I need to play and track

sublime
04-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Before it is even worth asking for somebody to indentify my leaks?

5,000? 10,000?

Tosh
04-09-2004, 03:40 PM
20,000 is enough to have a decent idea of your win rate. To know about specific hands I'd guess at 300,000.

sublime
04-09-2004, 03:42 PM
OK, at what point does it become benificial to me to start playing two tables?

Do I just give it a shot and see how I handle it?

sthief09
04-09-2004, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much. just about everyone can handle 2 tables. I'll play 4 tables sometimes, but I don't find it as enjoyable, especially when I get a string of bad beats. I get in a negative frame of mind and tilting while playing 4 tables isn't good. Tosh somehow plays 6 tables.

but yeah, 2 tables is very doable, and not stressful at all

JSD
04-09-2004, 03:48 PM
What do you mean when you say leaks? You can play a single hand and post it here and people will point out leaks. If you're talking about long-term trends (like you're not winning enough with AKo or something) you probably need hundreds of thousands of hands.

As far as multi-tabling goes, you'll never know until you try it. Just do it at the lowest limit you play (maybe even try it with play money at first) and start out with only two tables. It'll be confusing at first, but it will probably become second nature quickly. If you do a search, Bison posted something good last week about getting started multi-tabling.

sublime
04-09-2004, 03:52 PM
I actually prefeered it prior to actually taking up a "lust" for the game, but Mike Gallo suggested to me that I slow down and try to learn what my oppenents are doing. That makes a lot of sense to me also, I just want to get a large amount of hands databased so I can look at my OWN playing and try to work on that.

Speaking about my OWN playing, I am a tad on the "wild" side post flop. If I have a good draw I tend to bet until a oppenent shows me a reason not to. Is this a good way of approcahing post flop play?

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cold_cash
04-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Depends on the draw, and the opponents.

sublime
04-09-2004, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the draw, and the opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the insight CC. lol /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know what you mean, and by no means do I go crazy. If however I have a good draw, I will stay the aggressor on the flop and hopefully it buys me a "reduced cost" card on the turn.

sthief09
04-09-2004, 04:02 PM
I actually prefeered it prior to actually taking up a "lust" for the game, but Mike Gallo suggested to me that I slow down and try to learn what my oppenents are doing. That makes a lot of sense to me also, I just want to get a large amount of hands databased so I can look at my OWN playing and try to work on that.

well when I first got Poker Tracker, I tried to do the same thing and get a whole bunch of hands in it so I could see my numbers. So I played 4 tables a bunch and got up to 10k hands in like 4 weeks. now I'm burned out and haven't played much since then.

I agree with Mike that you should slow down and learn about your opponents, but most people are capable of doing this at 2 tables. more hands/hr = more experience/hr, which is why I tend to prefer more tables to less. but don't try to get a lot of hands for the sake of getting a lot of hands, because then you'll start playing when you don't want to play and playing more tables than you're comfortable with, and you simply won't enjoy paying anymore.

Speaking about my OWN playing, I am a tad on the "wild" side post flop. If I have a good draw I tend to bet until a oppenent shows me a reason not to. Is this a good way of approcahing post flop play?

there's 3 reasons to ever play a draw strongly:
1. you are getting good value on it (betting/raising because the odds your opponents are giving you on your bet/raise give you an overlay on the odds you'll make the hand by the river)
2. everyone might fold (this is very, very rare at .50/1.00). this is a semi-bluff, which seems to be what you're doing
3. raising for a free card. don't overuse this play, as there aren't all that many good situations to do this.

if you're playing a flush draw like this:
flop- bet, call, call
turn- bet, call, call
river (after missing)- bet, call, call

then you're semi-bluffing/bluffing too much, because it's very difficult to get calling stations to fold

sublime
04-09-2004, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're playing a flush draw like this:
flop- bet, call, call
turn- bet, call, call
river (after missing)- bet, call, call

then you're semi-bluffing/bluffing too much, because it's very difficult to get calling stations to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I could have worded it better, I will bet IF I have something or am drawing AND have overcards. I guess "fearless" would be the best way to define my post-flop play.

kiemo
04-09-2004, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 2 tables with relative ease. If I move to 3 I have problems though (monitor is too small and it sucks when you have raising wars on all three tables)

I have discovered I can do 2 as easy as one becuase I play plain ABC poker and reading my opponents is near impossible due to the wacky nature of micro players and the fact that I will see a different group of players about every 20 minutes.

sthief09
04-09-2004, 04:21 PM
fearless is good. unfortunately, there's a fine line between fearless and stupid, and I cross that line way too much.

sublime
04-09-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fearless is good. unfortunately, there's a fine line between fearless and stupid, and I cross that line way too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!!

Unfortunatly I seem to lose my cojones on the river.....odd

afk
04-09-2004, 05:49 PM
I only recently started 2 tabling and I'm really getting the hang of it. I don't have AS good of a read on opponents, but the ones that stick out still stick out just as much. I think it's helped my game in that if I arrive at a spot where I don't know what to do instantly I do what I think is best at the time, write the hand down and review it later. Then I might post it here. Since you don't have as much time to make decisions it starts to become glaringly obvious where you're uncomfortable. Then you can spend time patching these holes.