PDA

View Full Version : Too Aggressive?

Vern
04-09-2004, 04:27 AM
4th hand of a Party Poker $10 SnG No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t770)
UTG+2 (t1100)
Hero (t800)
MP2 (t745)
MP3 (t1400)
CO (t760)
Button (t240)
SB (t785)
BB (t700)
UTG (t700)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, MP2 calls t75, MP3 calls t75, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t135</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t800 (All-In)</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t625 (All-In).

Flop: (t1750) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1750) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1750) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1750
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t1710 (t1710), between Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (t1710).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: t40 (t40), overbet by Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jd Jh (one pair, jacks).
CO shows Ks Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: CO wins t1710. Hero wins t40. </font>

My thought was to go all-in to get all the others out or at least heads up. Is this early enough that I should have called his re-raise and seen the flop? If I called, would I be folding the best hand pre-flop if one of the other original callers came back over the top or calling all-in instead of raising to it? All criticism welcome. Thanks.

Vern

PrayingMantis
04-09-2004, 04:47 AM
JJ is a tough hand, and was discussed here many times. Holding it in an early levels, and in EP-MP, makes it even more problematic. Basically, I don't see what you can achieve by raising to 75 after a limper. You are sure to get a few callers. This will not help you at all. You either want some HU confrontation, or to limp PF and hope for a set.

So, in your place I would probably limp, and see the action behind me. If you are raised big behind, you have a decision to make. It depends heavily on your read of the player who raised, and of the dynamics of the game. Re-raising all-in is an option. I think that in your place, after your initial raise (which I don't like), when you get reraised only 60 more, flat calling is also an option, although you don't have position. If the flop is rags, you can probably play strong and win most of the time here. If over-cards fall, you should be very carefull. Post-flop play with JJ can be very tricky, that's why if you're not sure of yourself, pushing or folding to a raise are the better options.

Vern
04-09-2004, 05:19 AM
4th hand of the SnG, never seen any of the players in the pot before. I assumed typical Party $10 SnG players. I put the CO on two overcards. I was willing to take a coin flip since I thought I could get dead money in the pot but I honestly thought I had a decent chance to get them all to fold by coming back over the top all-in unless one of them was slow playing a bigger PP. Maybe that is what I need to re-think. CO busted out 8 hands later in 9th. I recovered from T40 to T800, but wasn't able to keep it together and lost trying to steal the blinds after I was blinded back to T400. The next round would have been my last. Went out 5th, at least they cannot call me bubble boy this time.

Thanks again.

Vern