PDA

View Full Version : This might be a silly question but...(7CS books)

jasonHoldEm
04-09-2004, 03:50 AM
I've been debating on which game I should learn to play next, and I've decided to go with stud (over omaha, but I plan to learn both eventually as well as the split variations).

Anyways, I know zilch about stud (other than whatever general poker theory can be applied that I've already picked up). I'm wondering if 7CSFAP is going to be above my head and if I should start with something else first (since I am not an advanced 7CS player).

Any other solid stud books out there that might be useful to me?

Thanks
jHE

Miah
04-09-2004, 04:28 AM
I think you'll be fine going straight into 7CSFAP, but if you want a good starter book pick up Roy West's 7 stud book. It's kind of analogous to reading Lee Jones when first learning hold em.

lostinthought
04-09-2004, 09:28 AM

Andy B
04-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Assuming you've studied books like TOP and HP4AP, 7CS4AP should be a good starting point for you.

JTG51
04-09-2004, 12:54 PM
I agree with what the others said about the books, but I'd suggest reading both 7CSFAP and Roy Wests book if for nothing else than to pound home what a difference the size of the ante makes.

Also, for what it's worth, as a Hold'em player you'll have a much easier time learning Omaha.

jasonHoldEm
04-09-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, for what it's worth, as a Hold'em player you'll have a much easier time learning Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's sort of the reason I decided to go with stud...it's not a flop game, and it's going to use a completely different set of skills than I use in hold'em.

I'm basically just looking to get good enough so that I can hold my own at a low limit stud table (at least for right now). I'd like to have an alterntative to hold'em on those nights when I'm feeling burned out. I'll probably do the same thing with omaha (as far as target skill level goes)...I still have a lot more to learn about hold'em, but just looking for a change of pace occasionally.

Thanks to all who responded, I'll be ordering the two books suggested.

Jason

Ray Zee
04-09-2004, 04:02 PM
jason, if a person was a winning holdem player and really studied the 7sfap book. i would be real surprised if he couldnt immediately beat a 10 20 stud game.

dogsballs
04-14-2004, 04:27 AM
jason,

Dive straight into 7csfap. Best there is. I'm a poker book junkie and there's nothign complicated or difficult about any poker book for someone who's reasonably intelligent. The green book's great and you'll like stud.

I try to play just about every game that's offered online; it's great to be able to try a change of tack when you get burnt on one game - or just plumb choose the juiciest game going.

dogs