PDA

View Full Version : College Online Poker Pros

PuppetMaster
04-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Has anyone else given thought to the idea of actually working a job? I dont think Im going to be able to do it. Poker has been too good to me. I make a fortune and its the funiest thing on earth. Are you ever gonna be able to work? Shivers....

Ash, Housewares
04-09-2004, 03:00 AM
"Are all men from the future loud-mouthed braggarts?"

"Nope, just me baby.... just me."

DanS
04-09-2004, 03:37 AM
You're 18, right? For all of the dumbass comments you've made under your different aliases, you'll get it, one day; you seem like a smart enough kid.

Dan

lostinthought
04-09-2004, 03:48 AM
I have a full time job, although I supplement my income with poker..

I am recently out of college.. To tell you the truth man,
when I see friends get into the best graduate programs, law schools, medical schools, and get lined up for careers they are actually passionate about, it makes playing poker for a living look pretty grim...

now compared to working a b*tch job somewhere they don't care about, it looks great..

but, there's plenty of things to do out there.. no one is necessarily forced to work at any one place..

csuf_gambler
04-09-2004, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else given thought to the idea of actually working a job? I dont think Im going to be able to do it. Poker has been too good to me. I make a fortune and its the funiest thing on earth. Are you ever gonna be able to work? Shivers....

[/ QUOTE ]

workings for sucka ass bitches

ThePinkBunny
04-09-2004, 04:45 AM
You don't necessarily have to work for someone else. I myself am taking a larger gamble than I ever have in poker, by producing my own indepenedent movie. It is funny how similar it is in fact. I feel alot of ups and downs while making it. Somedays I think it's pretty good, others, all I can think of is "WHAT WAS I THINKING", but we'll see.

I've made many mistakes along the way, but have learned from them, so hopefully moviemaking will be even better to me than poker playing.

D

DeezNuts
04-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Not a pro and not in college, but started playing a little bit after I graduated from Cal. Quit my job a couple months ago and am playing full time out of necessity, so maybe I am a pro(making very solid money the first 2 months online).

Yet, I am so glad that I finished college and got some work experience out of my belt(didn't start playing until 2001) because I just don't see how I could do this as a career.

The money won't always be rolling in, but being young you can't really see long term(I have a lot of problems with this even at the ripe ole age 27 as you can see by me quitting my job). If I had played during college and had as much success as I have had, I probably would have stupidly dropped out or not done too well. Plus, poker is a GREAT secondary income. It's hard to make a very good living off of poker if you want a family, etc. Think long term.

DN

jmark
04-10-2004, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I make a fortune and its the funiest thing on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really make a fortune, then why would you ever quit playing. Though I would define a fortune as a few million dollars.

99% of people are much much better off working a job and playing poker on the side, and I'm not just talking financially.

ZeeJustin
04-10-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm 18, and have had enough "success" so far playing poker that I don't think I will ever be able to take a normal job, but that's just me, and everyone is different. Some people like that boring daily routine thing and that stability thing.

Uglyowl
04-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Have you ever checked out the rates for health insurance now a days? Just don't think of the salary you get from a job, but all the benefits as well which could add 30-40% to the # you are thinking!

Also playing poker 40 hours a week may turn into a job for you especially when paying the rent or mortgage is on the line.

Just some thoughts /images/graemlins/smile.gif

paland
04-10-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
.... that I don't think I will ever be able to take a normal job, but that's just me, and ....

[/ QUOTE ]
And just what is a normal job? I work for the government as a computer administrator with a 60K salary. Half of the time that I am at work, I am online playing poker. The other half I am going to womens cubicles and fixing their computers. This is actually a fun time and gets me away from the screen for a break. So usually I am playing, out to a long lunch, or flirting. I Know that this isn't quite normal for a job but you would be surprised at how many workers just sit at their desks and shop, play fantasy sports, read forums, play online poker, or something else that is entertaining to them.

CrackerZack
04-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Can I have a quarter?

Or the whatever portion of my taxes pays your salary?

morgant
04-10-2004, 12:44 PM
"I work for the government as a computer administrator with a 60K salary. Half of the time that I am at work, I am online playing poker."

tax dollars at work /images/graemlins/wink.gif

same with me too though. i discovered online poker a little more than a year ago while at work, i was getting a little bored of chess and stumbled upon UB, needless to say my chess game is a little rusty.

Tosh
04-10-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm not mad keen on the idea of becoming a pro but not paying tax on winnings is very appealing.

paland
04-10-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I have a quarter?
Or the whatever portion of my taxes pays your salary?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure you're paying taxes on those winnings?? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CrackerZack
04-10-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm the only losing player on 2+2.