PDA

View Full Version : AA hand - turn question

MarkD
04-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (20 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (15 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero.... does what?</font>

What should Hero do on the turn here, and what should his plan be for the river? I'll post the results and my thoughts a bit later.

MarkD
04-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Funny how no one even looks at this hand.

Chris Daddy Cool
04-09-2004, 11:19 AM
I raise the turn and if I'm re-raised, I'll go to call down mode expecting to get beat by KK. If not re-raised, I'll bet the river.

Alobar
04-09-2004, 11:22 AM
I raise

lil'
04-09-2004, 11:56 AM
I'd raise the turn.

Funny how no one even looks at this hand.

Something wrong? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

MarkD
04-09-2004, 12:43 PM
I just found it funny that I posted it last night and this morning it was nearly on page 2 with 4 views.

I've noticed a trend in just watching and responding to posts in SS that a few posters get tremendous response and everyone else gets next to nothing.

MarkD
04-09-2004, 12:50 PM
I raised, MP2 folded, SB folded, BB 3-bet, UTG+1 calls two more, I call.

BB bet the river UTG+1 folded and I called and my opponent showed me KK.

Now as soon as I raised the turn I thought to myself, "Self... that's the autopilot in you just chugging along. You need to slow down. This isn't the time to raise and if it is you better fold to a 3-bet." Of course when it came back to me I decided to call down.

I'm surprised that everyone would raise here. No one puts this guy on Q's or K's yet he 4-bet from the BB pre-flop. So everyone puts him on AK here? Even after he 3-bets the turn?

I think my raise on the turn is highly questionable and calling the 3-bet back to me is dubious at best. At some point during this hand it felt like I should have slowed down / let go. BB's only reasonable hands when he 3-bets me on the turn is QQ or KK IMO, but I didn't have a solid read on him.

Since everyone agrees with my line I guess I don't feel too bad about it, but I get the feeling maybe we are all wrong.

colgin
04-09-2004, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think my raise on the turn is highly questionable and calling the 3-bet back to me is dubious at best. At some point during this hand it felt like I should have slowed down / let go. BB's only reasonable hands when he 3-bets me on the turn is QQ or KK IMO, but I didn't have a solid read on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had a solid read on your opponent I might feel differently. However, I think that raising the turn here iscorrect. Given the betting it would not necessarily be obvious even to a thinking opponent that you have pocket Aces, in which case I would be a lot more worried about BB betting into this board. Accordingly, BB's bet on the turn does not necessarily mean set of Queens or set of Kings more than just AK (which would have just made top pair), particularly in light of the fact that BB did not raise the flop here. The raise has the advantage of likely knocking out one or more players, which increases your chance of winning the pot. Yes, the three-bet on the turn does not look good, but I call it down here given that BB could as easily be playing AK or AA (split pot) as KK or QQ and the pot is very large at this point.

Don't beat yourself up over this one. You played fine and ran into a better hand.

lil'
04-09-2004, 02:03 PM
The raise on the turn is pretty standard stuff. It's what to do when you are three bet that is a more difficult question.

Folding would be tough, but given the size of the pot, I would call it down.