PDA

View Full Version : MicroLimit Pot Size and Game Selection on Party

MasterShakes
04-08-2004, 08:02 PM
This is something that has been on my mind for awhile now. It's one of those topics that I've seen touched on on here, but not really thoroughly discussed.

As Party players know, we don't get any statistics about a particular table besides the number of players there and the pot size. We don't get a percentage to the flop, which in addition to the other two stats, would be much more helpful.

The question is whether the pot size stat is helpful at all. As Mason has written in one of the Poker Essays books (don't remember which), big pots are not necessarily the sign of a good game. The best possible game is loose and passive. Big pots do tend to indicate looseness to some extent, but not necessarily passiveness.

Further, it seems like the regulars on party gravitate towards the tables with big pots. During prime time, I frequently see waitlists of 5 or more for .50/1 and 1/2 tables with heavy action. It seems irrational that you would want to get into this game, given that by the time you get there, it will be populated by what are likely better players.

Another factor I'd like info on (if anybody knows) is how many hands does Party use to calculate the average pot size? If it's only the last 30 hands or so, this isn't much help at all. "Average" pot size frequently fluctuates at these tables.

I guess the big question out of all of this is how do you all go about game selection in this low limit online setting?

I try to find a table with a loose but not ridiculously huge pot size stat - such as 8 or 9 BB at .50/1 or 7 or 8 BB at 1/2.

bisonbison
04-08-2004, 08:04 PM
If a table's loose and passive, it should only take an orbit or two to see it. If it's not, and there are no players so bad as to make a tighter table still worthwhile, you can rack up and switch tables.

Moozh
04-09-2004, 02:12 AM
What you said about the big games being tight by the time you get there is right on the money from what I've seen. I usually try to pick a table a few spots below the top in hope that the other good players looking for a big pot will stay focused on the top tables only.

When I'm first starting, I'll give a table a 'tryout' for an orbit or two. If it's a bit tight, I'll move on until I find something I can live with. I'm curious as to how other people find tables though. I can't imagine it's too different.