PDA

View Full Version : Best book that combines LL and NL?

eggzz
04-08-2004, 07:44 PM
What would you recommend that covered both Low Limit and No Limit strategy play?

I play NL online (at lower limits) and Home Poker is usually geared around No Limit as well. But going to Vegas for a week in July and want to bone up on Limit strategy as it appears to be the more pervasive game in Vegas.

Can anyone recommend a good book that covers both styles of play? Or I supppose I could buy Winning Low Limit Hold Em, but then I would need a good No Limit strategy book. Trying to kill two birds with one stone, but that may not be possible.

Thanks in advance.

Stew
04-08-2004, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What would you recommend that covered both Low Limit and No Limit strategy play?

I play NL online (at lower limits) and Home Poker is usually geared around No Limit as well. But going to Vegas for a week in July and want to bone up on Limit strategy as it appears to be the more pervasive game in Vegas.

Can anyone recommend a good book that covers both styles of play? Or I supppose I could buy Winning Low Limit Hold Em, but then I would need a good No Limit strategy book. Trying to kill two birds with one stone, but that may not be possible.

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not even close to possible. The subtleties of no-limit as compared to a limit game are endless.

I would, however, recommend that if you are already an experienced, winning player online (either limit or no-limit), skip the Jones book. Get Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky, that will enhance your game immensely for the limit style of game in Vegas. Further your education by getting Theory of Poker by Sklanskly. This book is a must-read no matter what type of game you play. That should cover your limit poker starter kit.

Now, as far as No-Limit goes. I would say you must read Ciaffone/Reuben's Pot-Limit/No-limit book. Undeniably the class of the field when it comes to no-limit ring game play. You could further your education with the No-Limit section in Super/System. But, that info is a tad outdated, although many have read it and I find it useful as it can tip you off to how others play in certain situations and will improve your own game as well. That is not a must, however. But, when Super/System 2 comes out in the fall, I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a must-own read.

Stew
04-08-2004, 08:02 PM
One more thing, I see you are headed out in July and twoplustwo has plans to release a low-limit book in late June (tentatively). I would imagine that will be worth the cover price, so you could probably add that to your potential list.

The thing is this, when you people ask about recommended books, you open a catch-22. I try to recommend books that I find will contain the most useful info. But, honestly any book you read will enlighten your game. Even if you read a book that you think is full of garbage and meaningless info. What that has done is forced you to think about the game and analyze why you feel the information is worthless and that is as valuable as anything else.

eggzz
04-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks Stew, but actually right now I would classify myself as a break even/struggling online player at the low limits, but a solid Home player. I have very wide bankroll swings online, usually after posting a long solid win streak, I get careless and give a lot back in a short period of time, then find myself back to the grindstone.

Therefore, since I am not as advanced yet as I would like to be, would you recommend Jones' Winning Low Limit Holdem book? Read that first and maybe after refining my game some more and putting into practice some new things I learn, then move on to the Sklansky one?

I will also purchase the NL book to refine my online play, as I enjoy playing NL online much better than limit.

While I have your ear, if I play the majority of my time at the NL tables, both online and at home games, and I continue to improve my game, do you think I should try to seek out the NL games in Vegas too by concentrating on the small tourneys and the places that spread NL? Or do you think I may be in for a rude awakening?

I am a solid player, but leaks in my game are probably being too conservative, a little on the weak side too much. I can be aggressive when I need to be, but I think it is those mid-range hands that I get myself caught up on that prevents me from being more of a consistent winner.

Well, I've prattled on long enough. Thank you for your insight, I do agree that whatever additional book knowledge you pick up, can only help, as you are continuing to broaden your horizons by reading more into this incredibly complex game.

benfranklin
04-09-2004, 08:17 PM
If you haven't read Jones or anything similar, that is a good place to start. Even if you have been playing for a while, it is a good review of basics. After that, I'd recommend Sklansky's Theory of Poker, followed by the advanced holdem book.