PDA

View Full Version : 99 hand with overcard on turn

asdf1234
04-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, CO folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, SB raises, UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Comments please.

J.R.
04-08-2004, 07:33 PM
I really like your flop raise. The flop coldcall/turn check-raise is almost always the real deal.

Guido
04-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Well played, I would probably raise preflop but calling is fine too.

Guido

Sarge85
04-09-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm glad there have been several $2/$4 hands since thats where I'm struggling.

Anyway....

I'd raise PF with my med pair, in MP.

I'd raise the flop as you did 99% of the time

I'd like to think I'd fold the turn (because thats probably the right thing to do).

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

jasonHoldEm
04-09-2004, 07:56 PM
I'd play it the same, SB either flopped a straight or has the ace...you're drawing dead or thin.

jHE

jasonHoldEm
04-09-2004, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi sarge,

I think raising this hand preflop would be a mistake. Your goal is to get more players involved (giving you odds to flop your set) because 99 isn't strong enough most of the time to win unimproved. I'd raise TT about 50% of the time in this spot (depending on table conditions, specifically what my read on the limper is and how tight are the players behind me...maybe even less than 50% at a typical 2/4 table).

jHE

Trix
04-09-2004, 08:08 PM
I play it the same postflop.

Whether I call or raise preflop depends on the other players.
If UTG is decent he will usually have 2 overcards to my 9s.
How loose/tight are the players behind me. Can I get it HU with UTG by raising( if he is loose).
I dont think that you can go much wrong by calling though as it will increase the chance that you are bet into on a flop you might like.

trillig
04-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Pairs QQ and less can get me in a lot of trouble, but generally 75% of the time I remain strong acting when that nasty OC hits when there are 1 or 2 people left besides me, if I have no clue how they play and they did NOT raise pre-flop. If I know they are a habitual ace-anything chasers then I know betting is probably a bad play and check it there.

I don't mind showing down my 99's though, I get a handle on them, with aces were they passive, and just let me run the show? This will prove valuable later if it's consistent.... I know I won't be...

-Bri

Glurfle
04-10-2004, 07:14 AM
If the early limper is the usual Party type who's too loose, I like to raise 99 here. I definitely raise TT and up, and sometimes raise 88 or even 77 if the limper is really bad. Looking through my PT database, I've raised 99 preflop 99/323 times. Of those times I've raised, I've won unimproved 15 times (counting those times when I make two pair with a pair on the board), but I've also won without showdown 28 times, which as far as I'm concerned is more or less the same as winning unimproved. Basically I'm winning with 99 "unimproved" almost half the time, and that more or less justifies the raise in and of itself for me when you count dead money from blinds and such in the pot. Extra money I make when I actually improve is just gravy.

Possibly more importantly, I like to raise things like 99 to provide some cover for the times I raise big cards and miss. I like having my opponents know that my range of raising hands is AA-88 + random big cards rather than AA-QQ + random big cards when I bet a flop like J32 after raising. I think if the only pairs I raised here are JJ+, I'd get check-raised too often on raggy flops. Basically I think that even if I am giving up EV by raising (and I don't believe I am, but it's possible), I make it up by improving my stealing opportunities with all the non-pair hands I also raise with.

That's my view with a standard 2/4 limper who could have all sorts of crap, at least. Everything changes if the EP player is super tight.

jonnyv
04-10-2004, 12:49 PM
You are beat here 99% since many will chase with an Ax. Good fold. This just shows that you cannot protect your hand in a low limit loose game. Without hitting trips with this 2 outer this is a clear fold.

Sarge85
04-10-2004, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi sarge,

I think raising this hand preflop would be a mistake. Your goal is to get more players involved (giving you odds to flop your set) because 99 isn't strong enough most of the time to win unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much why I'm raising here. Maybe I can get heads up with one person - I'm first in so it seems like the best to do.

I'd raise TT 100% of the time here.

Edit: Raising with my 99 will also make the flop much easier to play.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

jasonHoldEm
04-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Ok, I see what you're getting at. I guess a lot of it would depend on my read of the limper and the rest of the table to act behind me, but your point is good.

Joe Tall yelled at me and said I don't raise enough preflop, so I need to do some studying. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks,
Jason

Joe Tall
04-10-2004, 09:42 PM
You could make an arguement for raising preflop. Sometime I raise in this situation, sometimes I call. Often if I was sure that I could knock out players behind me, gaining position, I'll raise. Especially if the limper(s) play poorly preflop.

The flop raise is routine as the lay down on the turn.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
04-10-2004, 09:44 PM
I don't raise enough preflop

Jason,

Just remember you can't dance on your heels; can't play winning hold'em either.

Peace,
Joe Tall