PDA

View Full Version : Ooops

BottlesOf
04-08-2004, 06:11 PM
New to the table. How do you avoid this disaster? I can think of a couple ways.

Ultimate Bet 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>

J.R.
04-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Don't limp from MP1 with A3s, especially at a tight ub table. Fold or even raise, but don't open limp.

Flop you are either way ahead or way behind, I'd call.

Turn- Did BB 3-bet the flop with just one pair? Did you consider what you would do if you were 3-bet again on the turn before you raised? You made a 2 big bet decison because a turn call means a river call. If you don't know what to do if you get 3-bet, in general don't raise.

I hope you beat an overplayed JT, but it doesn't look promising.

Lost Wages
04-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Looks like you had plenty of opportunities to fold. Open limping in MP with A3s is marginal, but if you expect several others to follow and there is little chance of a raise then it's OK.

When the BB bets out on a flop of AJT, you should be concerned. When he 3-bets, the alarm bells should be sounding. I would have folded right there. You may reason that you have 5 outs and are getting 9:1 but most hands a reasonable player would 3-bet with have you drawing dead. The only reasonable hand you have odds to draw against is JT. You are drawing dead to AJ, AT, KQ, JJ and TT.

On the turn, you should not have raised. You are still behind to most reasonable hands but since you have made it this far, you should call the bet and the river.

Lost Wages

Guido
04-08-2004, 07:58 PM
I would probably fold this PF, but when the table is right I might call or even raise. On the flop you have top pair so good raise to see where you stand. He 3-bets which probably means AT, AJ, JT or KQ. I would most of the time fold right here, when I would call I would certainly fold on the turn when I don't improve. On the turn you have 2 pair which probably aren't any good but just in case he has something like AK, AQ or A9 it's calling down time...

Guido

BottlesOf
04-09-2004, 12:52 AM
He had AJ. Ooops.

scrub
04-09-2004, 02:17 AM
There is a Mason Poker Essay about when it's correct to slowplay. I don't remember which book is in, but you ought to check it out.

When you make the decision to raise, you can safely fold to a 3-bet. That's the difference between top pair with an overcard kicker and top pair with an undercard kicker.

scrub

Joe Tall
04-09-2004, 03:11 AM
How do you avoid this disaster?

Easily. Don't open-limp w/Axs, raise or fold. Then after you rasied the flop, fold when re-raised if your opponent is sane.

Peace,
Joe Tall