PDA

View Full Version : Calling all-in on short stack

BigBaitsim (milo)
04-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Single table live tourney with fairly crappy players at the local lodge. Example of overheard comment: "Well if you had a queen and queens have been hitting you all night, you had to call."

So there are six of us left, top three pay. Big stack has about 40K, three stacks have about 20K, I have about 5K and other small stack has 3K.

Blinds are 500/1000. I get 77 on the button. LAG big stack raises to 3.5K, the exact raise he put up 20 minutes before with AKs. This guy is a VERY loose limper pre-flop, but usually raises good hands, and plays well post-flop. He is the second best player at the table (not saying much). Medium stack, very loose player, calls. I go all-in and both call. They check through the flop, turn and river. We all turn over and everyone has a pocket pair. Big stack has JJ, medium stack has 44 and I lose.

I was looking to go all-in soon, but should I have pushed against a strong bet and call?

NotMitch
04-08-2004, 05:41 PM
I think that is a very tough spot. You are getting a great price on your money and I think it possibe you are ahead. On the other hand, when you are behind you are way behind, and you are likely facing 3 or 4 overcards when you arent behind. So I think this might be a fold, but with a chance to triple up and get back in the game a call isn't bad either.

Stoneii
04-08-2004, 05:58 PM
I'd find it awful hard to lay down PP with the chance to triple up. You could just as easily have faced AJ and AQ and been lucky enough to hold up!

stoneii

ZeeJustin
04-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I'd fold this. You are either a small favorite or a big underdog.

[ QUOTE ]
LAG big stack raises to 3.5K, the exact raise he put up 20 minutes before with AKs. This guy is a VERY loose limper pre-flop, but usually raises good hands, and plays well post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is LAG, but limps most his hands (except for the good ones that he raises) and plays well post flop? I guess we have different deffinitions of LAG.

BigBaitsim (milo)
04-08-2004, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold this. You are either a small favorite or a big underdog.

[ QUOTE ]
LAG big stack raises to 3.5K, the exact raise he put up 20 minutes before with AKs. This guy is a VERY loose limper pre-flop, but usually raises good hands, and plays well post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is LAG, but limps most his hands (except for the good ones that he raises) and plays well post flop? I guess we have different deffinitions of LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. No, he is loose, but not terribly aggressive by most standards. The table is filled with weak players and calling stations. He is aggressive in comparison, but the flop on this hand was AK2. The turn and river were middle cards. The one "fancy" play at this table is to slowplay a strong hand (even when foolish to do so), so his weak play on this hand was not unusual.

I should have folded. You are right, I'm either a slight favorite or a major dog with two players in.