PDA

View Full Version : another out of line 3-bet?

05-04-2002, 02:17 PM
People who watch me play often think I'm a bit over-aggressive...is this the case in this hand?

2 MP limpers to me, I raise from the button with KsQd (do most just limp here?). Both blinds call, limpers call.

Flop: 6s8sTs.

Checked to me. I bet, SB raises, all fold. I 3-bet. SB calls.

Turn: blank (2h I think). Check-Check.

River: Ad. Bet-fold.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Thanks.

05-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Pre-flop: Fine (IMHO). I would raise KQ in button vs two MP limpers too every time. KJ is borderline when offsuit if limpers are tight and big blind likely to call anyway.

Flop: Fine. Raising is better than calling. If re-raising here is major overplay, then a call would be TERRIBLE. Take one card off if four-bet and call him down only if you hit your flush.

Turn: Fine, your hand is weak, your draw not particularly 'big' and your opponent has signaled strength. Betting here won't, as so often is the case, make river play much easier. Take the free card.

River: Few opponents would bluff here. Also, the flop check-raise usually suggests, at very least, AsXx, which is now a pair of Aces. I wouldn't rule out a terrible bet with for instance JT, but there you have the low limit we love, getting bet into now matter what when checking the turn.

lars

05-04-2002, 02:37 PM
I forgot my only possible critizism of this hand: I would consider checking the flop in the first place.

Other opinions here?

lars

05-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Preflop, assuming the limpers aren't notorious limpers with monsters, you are making money by raising KQo (especially on the button). To nitpick Lars' reply a bit, you want the blind to call in this situation as the high card hands perform best with 3-5 players (probably best with 4).

The flop has hit you and all the lambs have checked. I would bet here for three reasons:

1. you may get everyone to fold

2. a bet now may make your draw cheaper on the expensive street

3. you may have (or end up with) the best hand

As for the reraise it depends upon the SB. Against somebody who is hyperaggressive or a stop-and-go artist I would probably just call. As a rule though I would also reraise here in an attempt for a free turn card. (BTW, if your opponent is playing around with the dry Ace you might be able to sense this if he double checks the turn and river, and you can bet him out on the river.)

Good check on the turn. You do not have the best hand and you will not bet your opponent out.

Good fold on the river for the same reasons.

I would have played the hand exactly the same.