PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing pocket rags

pelican
04-08-2004, 02:32 PM
There are a lot of rags that I routinely fold in any position except the big blind. Using Poker Tracker, I checked on how I was doing playing these hands. How much were my occassional winners offsetting the routine losers when I played any combination of 2 through 9 except pairs? What I found out was more interesting than I expected.

I'm losing! In 4,730 hands of 2/4 Party, I leaked $115 MORE than the total of the blinds lost. How could that happen? I think it is mostly a case of a bad run of cards, but I'm interested in anyone else's experience and comments. Here's how it broke down.

Total hands: 4,730
Rag hands (2-9 excl pairs): 1,618 (34%)
Rag hands in blinds: 418 (26% of all rag hands)
This was interesting. It reveals that because of people sitting out in the 10-handed Party 2/4 HE games, I'm posting blinds at an 8-handed rate.
Blinds posted on rag hands (est.) $627
Money won on rag hands -$742

I never called a preflop raise from the big blind with rags, and I only voluntarily bet on rags in the blinds when the flop hit me hard -- a total of 39 times. I didn't keep track of how many (or few) times I completed the small blind to see a flop with a rag hand, but I can't imagine it happened more than a half-dozen times, if that. Only once did I complete the bet at SB and have it raised by the BB, forcing me to call a raise at SB.

Of the 39 hands from the big blind in which I voluntarily added $ to the pot, my best flop was trips, which happened twice. I won one and lost the other to a boat for a net loss. I never flopped a straight, flush or boat.

Fifteen times I flopped straight draws; twice with pairs involved and three times with flushes also possible on the river. I chased the straights as long as I had pot odds but only caught one, which lost to a higher straight.

Five times I flopped 4-flushes which I chased. Only caught one, and it lost to a boat.

Six times I flopped two pair. Four of these were winners for a nice net win.

Most of the times that I flopped a single pair, I check/folded. Twice I bet on top pair. It held up both times, but there was little betting and very small pots. Six times I got involved with lower pairs, often when there was a pair on board on the flop, and I paired the third card for a total of two pairs. Four losers, two winners, for a net loss.

Four times I bluffed at small pots after the flop, winning twice and losing twice. And once an opponent folded to my check.

Thirteen times I voluntarily played rags from positions other than the blinds. Most of these were with suited connectors, often from the button or CO with either no earlier limpers or many earlier limpers. Didn't win one of these. Folded 11 of them after the flop. Two of the flops were straight draws discussed above.

I'm especially interested in what you guys who are good at calculation odds can say about what normal expectations should be. Is it reasonable that I didn't see a flopped straight, flush or boat? Should I reconsider ever playing medium suited connectors outside of the blinds?

--Pelican

Tosh
04-08-2004, 03:28 PM
You shouldn't need to be told that 4730 hands is statistically insignificant.

T5off
04-08-2004, 03:31 PM
...and the 39 hands that you actually played on the flop is far from statistically insignificant, it's anecdotal evidence.