PDA

View Full Version : Go for the overcall?

spamuell
04-08-2004, 04:38 AM
TGC .5/1 10 handed. Nice, loose table, much better than the crappy 1/2 I’m playing at the same site. I am on the button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 10/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Pre-flop: UTG limps, EP1 limps, EP2 limps, folded to me and I raise (not routine but I sometimes raise here), SB calls, BB folds, limpers call. Five to the flop for 11SB:

Flop: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to me and I check. Five to the turn for 5.5BB:

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, UTG folds, EP1 calls, EP2 raises, I cold-call, SB calls, EP1 calls. Four to the river for 13BB:

River: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, EP1 checks, EP2 bets, I raise…

The river is where my main question is but I welcome comments on all streets.

Vern
04-08-2004, 07:02 AM
I would not have raised the river since the only player likely to call two on the river has you beat but both the checkers might call one with a hand you beat. That actually results in an extra BB in the pot for you risking on less BB and you can look for that check/raise on the river that should really scare you. Even if only one of the checkers calls, you win as much if you win but lose one less BB if you are beat. Unless you feel that both of the checkers will call two with a hand you beat, I just don't see raising here.

Vern

sublime
04-08-2004, 07:12 AM
I like the river raise, judging by the way the hand was played the ONLY way yor are beat is if caller holds Qx /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nice, loose table

[/ QUOTE ]

Tells me SB would probably call PF raise with any suited connector.

If my thiniing is clouded let me know.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Festus22
04-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Statistically, there's only a 6% chance you're beat. And considering the flush cards came runner-runner, the 2 big flush cards are out and you've got the 4th and 5th ones, I'd pretty much go to the felt if a war broke out. So, how do you make the most money? To be honest, I'd bet in the long run it wouldn't make that much difference if you raised or went for overcalls. There's just so many scenarios that could transpire but I guess I'd opt for raising since it has the most potential to win the most chips.

PS - This post has moved me into the Old Hand category. Gee Spamuell, don't you feel privilaged to be a part of such a historic occasion?

Trix
04-08-2004, 09:49 AM
I play it the same. They are loose, they will coldcall when they have something.

spamuell
04-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Statistically, there's only a 6% chance you're beat.

I'm not really concerned that I'm beat, I just want to get more bets from people. I agree with the rest of your post though.

PS - This post has moved me into the Old Hand category. Gee Spamuell, don't you feel privilaged to be a part of such a historic occasion?

Festus, it's an honour. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sfer
04-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Raising is good. SB and EP both showed aggression on the turn. It's reasonable to think at least one is paying you off.

afs
04-08-2004, 01:34 PM
The river looks right.

Lately I'd bet the flop. Then again, I've also been having a crummy week or two -- maybe these bets are contributing. Any thoughts?

MaxPower
04-08-2004, 01:45 PM
If the players are really bad I rarely try for an overcall, because they will often call two bets as easily as one.