PDA

View Full Version : Governmental Theories - More Mencken

Zeno
04-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Governmental Theories

In every age the advocates of the dominant political theory seek to give it dignity by identifying it with whatever contemporaneous desire of man happens to be most powerful. In the days of monarchy, monarchy was depicted as the defender of the faith. In our present era of democracy, democracy is depicted as the only safe guardian of liberty. And the communism or super communism of tomorrow, I suppose, will be sold to the booboisie as the only true palladium of peace, justice, and plenty. All of these attempts to hook up cause and effect are nonsensical. Monarchy was fundamentally not a defender of the faith at all, but a rival and enemy to the faith. Democracy does not promote liberty; it diminishes and destroys liberty. And communism, as the example of Russia already shows, is not a fountain that gushes peace, justice and plenty, but a sewer in which they are drowned.

H. L. Mencken, Feb. 1922.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-08-2004, 08:22 AM
We all need a little of Mencken's wisdom from time to time. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

andyfox
04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Noticed there was a new biography of Mencken in the bookstore last week, thought about you. But you probably have bought it already. Don't know the author or anything about it, haven't seen any reviews yet, but hopefully the interesting subject of the bio will have made for an interesting read.

Zeno
04-08-2004, 01:46 PM
I agree of course. Mencken is like a cold wet rain that stings your face and wakes you up.

-Zeno

Zeno
04-08-2004, 02:00 PM
The most recent biography is called 'The Skeptic' by Terry Teachout. At least that is the latest one I have read and know about, it came out about a year ago. It is very well done and worth reading. If you can slip it in somewhere - pick it up. Take it to the poker room and read it while waiting for a game. Soon, you may not even want to play. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Teachout also edited, 'The second Mencken Chrestomathy' that was flung at bookstores in 1995. Another worthy but unnoticed book.

-Zeno

Ragnar
04-08-2004, 06:07 PM
I went to see Inherit the Wind on Saturday. Of course the character of Hornbeck is modeled on Mencken. For those who aren't aware the play is about the Scopes Monkey trial and there is also a Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan character.

There are some great Mencken-like lines--I don't know how authentic they are, but one of the best in which Hornbeck describes himself, [ QUOTE ]
Cynical, That's my fascination.
I do hateful things for which people love me,
And lovable things for which they hate me.
I am a friend of enemies, the enemy of friends;
I am admired for my detestability.
I am both Poles and the Equator,
With no Temperate Zones in between.

[/ QUOTE ]
That pretty much summarizes Mencken for me. The play is worth re-reading.

Ragnar