PDA

View Full Version : Masters Predictions

Bill Murphy
04-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Yeah, little late to start this thread.

Rumors of Tiger's demise are greatly exaggerated; kinda like this "Adam Scott is the new Tiger" business.

Kinda got a "Phold or Els" air to it, like KTo UTG. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'll throw Paddy & Mags into it, tho Paddy won the Par 3 contest.(note Tiger was tied w/him, but bailed on the playoff).

Wouldn't Daly being in the last 2-3 groups Sunday be something.

NO FVCKING COMMERCIALS BABY!! WOO HOO!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

THANKS, MARTHA! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HDPM
04-08-2004, 01:06 AM
I have no idea this year. If the course is hard and fast it will be a different tournament. Buh bye Phold. Tiger is hitting it terrible but is the best competitor, so I won't pick against him. But I really don't like his cahances as much as in past years. My dark horse is Jonathan Kaye. He would make Augusta members cringe I think. 8:11 tee time tomorrow. Maybe he will catch the weather right.

andyfox
04-08-2004, 12:47 PM
-Ken Venturi says he never said Palmer cheated in 1958, just that Arnie didn't understand the rule. Palmer, according to Venturi didn't announce he was playing a second ball until he finished playing the first one (which resulted in a double bogey). Then he said, according to Venturi, he was playing another (which resulted in a par).

-Bruce Edwards died today. Seemed to be a gracious man, I think everybody was touched by his illness and how well Tom Watson played last year, seemingly inspired by Edwards. Certainly Watson, pointing back at Edwards after chipping in at Pebble Beach in 1982, was one of the great moments in golf history, as was Watson and Edwards walking up 18 arm in arm last year.

-Ben Crenshaw, of all people, is 2 under par and tied for the lead. Gentle Ben really does seem to be a gentle soul, well-liked, and he's playing on his favorite course. He's not been competitive for a long time, not even on the Champions Tour, hope he finishes with a nice round and makes the cut.

HDPM
04-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Too bad about Bruce Edwards. I didn't hear. He went downhill pretty fast. Sad.

My pick Kaye was blowing up the last I looked. I will have to check to see if he broke 80. D'oh. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

MaxPower
04-08-2004, 01:49 PM
I'm not trying to be funny, but Ben Crenshaw seems to play well when people die. He won the Masters right after his teacher Harvey Penick died.

I'm very sorry to hear about Bruce Edwards.

blackaces13
04-08-2004, 02:14 PM
SWEET!!! A golf thread. I've been waiting for this one. Tiger really is in a slump this time (unlike the fake slumps of old that the media created) and I think its because of that succubus Elin Nordegrin or whatever her name is. She's killing him, along with Nike and their God forsaken drivers that Tiger can't hit straight.

Lefty has been playing well but he's way too unpredictable and inconsistent, he's the kind of guy who goes all-in with 6s7s on a board of 9s-9h-As and nothing in the pot. I'd love to see Phil win but he can't keep it together for 4 rounds and he yips too many 4 footers on Sunday.

VJ Singh unfortunately has been very solid this year and if I had to bet money I'd put it on the Fijian. I hate VJ but man he's been awesome lately. Look for him to get fitted in green yet again this year.

Adam Scott, forget it. This Tiger rip-off wouldn't even be able to handle the notariety of winning the Players and Masters in the same year. He doesn't seem to like the spotlight, had a crappy week last week, and he will fold up like a rock with 72o.

One last thing, screw the Master and the powers that be over at Augusta for only being on 2.5 hours a day. All other majors and the Players are on for at least 6 hours a day. These rich Southern pricks (Hootie et al) think that they're so special and add to the "mystique" of Augusta by not allowing many cameras or much airtime. Fcuk these old bags. I hate the Master's for this, this Major gives by far the LEAST to the fans and the fans still drool all over themselves talking about the Masters, its disturbing.

OK that's it, God I love golf. Sorry I just wrote a novel but like I said I was waiting for someone to start a golf thread. Go Tiger!!!

M2d
04-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Watson is in the clubhouse at +4, tied for 72.
Crenshaw is in the clubhouse at +2, tied for 50th.
Daly is at +5 through 12.
Tiger is at +1 through 2.
clubhouse leader is Justin Rose at -5.

Ray Zee
04-08-2004, 03:12 PM
bill, your posts are starting to look alot like the ones from scalf. i hope we arent losing you to the dark side of your mind.

andyfox
04-08-2004, 03:47 PM
http://www.masters.org/en_US/news/interviews/2004-04-08/200404081081449648995.html

scalf
04-08-2004, 03:49 PM
/images/graemlins/cool.gif scalf lives only 25 miles from masters..

musta took control...

ya oughtta try that modelo especial...

not as full-bodied as the negro, but a fine taste...really is so far beating redhook and sierra nevada pale ale in my test today..

lol

gl /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

blackaces13
04-08-2004, 04:12 PM
No sooner does the Masters come on the air, which I've been waiting patiently for all day, then the lightening alarm goes off and play is suspended. This sucks.

CCass
04-08-2004, 11:07 PM
FWIW, I am going to the final round of the Masters this year. That will leave only one life long dream unfulfilled, and I will make it to the WSOP one day as well (as a player, not a spectator).

blackaces13
04-09-2004, 06:22 PM
I've had to sit here and watch Arnold Palmersaurus for the past hour. Mickelson is still on the course and playing well as is Dimarco and others who I'd much rather see right now. Yeah, Arnold Palmer used to be someone, gee that's great but his time has passed. Playing any tournament 50 times in a row is just sad, he can't compete and hasn't been able to in over a decade. Please get this old man off my screeen so I can watch some actual golf. Thank you.

SossMan
04-09-2004, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had to sit here and watch Arnold Palmersaurus

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why, but that just cracked me up. You, sir, have some major juevos to attack a legend like Arnie. Next thing you know, you're gonna say that Nirvana was overrated, and the Babe was just a fat man in an era w/out the slider.

HDPM
04-09-2004, 07:05 PM
I dunno, I get the point. I have not been able to watch today, but it seems like Arnie has had a lot of farewells. And I don't really begrudge it because he is a legend. I think they should show some old highlights, and a good shot or two. And they should definitely show him walk up the 18th and putt out. However, at some point it gets embarrassing. Watching Arnie play kind of grosses me out now. I mean he's hitting driver 3 wood to some holes I bet. Low running 3 woods no less. He can't play. I don't like seeing guys who were great shooting 85. It seems like cheering for the old senile uncle for making it to the bathroom on his own instead of pissing himself. I'd like to see the old timers play the par 3 tournament and take part in an opening ceremony or something. But I wish they had the sense to quit. And I was opposed to the rule change (later rescinded) that banned them. But come on, if you aren't competitive don't play.

superleeds
04-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Well said

SossMan
04-09-2004, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like cheering for the old senile uncle for making it to the bathroom on his own instead of pissing himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lovely. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oski
04-09-2004, 10:46 PM
You know what? That HAD to be said. I enjoy the traditional "tee off" where the old guys hack one down the first fairway...then call it a day. The guys get to hear the cheers another year, and they are involved in the cerimony, rather than clogging it up. - no pun intended. Anyway, Arnie should have packed it up a long time ago...Willie Mays - Mets. You get the picture.

JTrout
04-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Yes, it was certainly overdone. Too much. But...

Arnie IS the King, and

Having the old timers at the Master is one thing that sets it apart from other majors. and

His charisma surely helped put the Masters where it is today, and we can (partly)thank him for watching commercial free. and

although obviously not competitive, 84-84 on that course ain't too awful for a super-senior that can barely get it airborn.

I wish more professionals, at any sport (or poker), could be half the man that Arnie has been. I know I've fallen short.

I'll have a beer tonight and salute Arnold Palmer.