PDA

View Full Version : Missed a big payday

jasonHoldEm
04-08-2004, 12:18 AM
3/6 Party

I have QQ in EP and open raise, player to my left 3-bets, folded back to me. My read was almost 100% he had AA or KK (he was very tight) so I just called to take a look at the flop.

FLOP: QQx

I check, he bets, I check/raise, he three-bets, I call.

TURN: x

I check, he bets, I c/r again and he folds. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I flashed and he claimed AA, I feel he was telling the truth.

I really messed up as I'm sure he would have paid me off handsomely if I had slowed down a bit. Typical players won't give you credit for a queen (let alone two of them), but this guy was smart enough to realize he was beaten and I didn't consider that when planning my attack.

I'm wondering if it's best to check/call the flop and then c/r on the turn? How much rope should I give him before I pull the trigger against a thinking opponent?

/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Jason

EDITED TO ADD: My goal is to represent KK or JJ (or anything he can beat for that matter) not a queen, I want to bait him into a raising war...maybe it's better to just come out betting rather than revealing my strength with a c/r?

sfer
04-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Most thinking players respect turn checkraises, and from the way you describe him it sounds like he's not giving you two bets on an expensive street. Obviously, you want him to believe you have AA or KK, but it's going to be hard to convince him since you didn't cap preflop.

Generally, I think quads are best played straightforwardly, but even with Aces he's not going to give you a lot of action on the turn/river when the board pairs cards that could easily give you trips.

Saborion
04-08-2004, 12:58 AM
That is a tough hand to play when you want to maximize your value since it's very player dependant. Or am I mistaken?
Given the way you played the hand, I'd put you on a queen as well.

What about betting out, call the raise, then betting out again on the turn? Is he aggressive enough to raise the turn? Playing the hand that way almost looks like you're trying to protect your hand against overcards. Would you agree? If the opponent is smart enough to realize that you know this, then he might just call it down.

If he raises you on the turn, you could either 3-bet or call and bet out on the river. I think it would be easier for him to call the river bet than the 3-bet. Which option to choose depends on whether or not he would call a river bet, because if you doubt he would, you'd want to raise the turn so that he doesn't have a free shot at his 2 outer.

Or?

Nottom
04-08-2004, 01:36 AM
I suppose you could smoothcall the turn bet and bet ou ton the river and hope he senses weakness but other than that I don't know how you are gonna get any more bets out of this guy than you did.

BaronVonCP
04-08-2004, 03:09 AM
I would have bet out on the turn. It would be really tough for him to fold if not raise.

LetsRock
04-08-2004, 10:57 AM
My play would have been to bet/call the flop (when you check a flop like this after raising, it looks suspicious), if he raises the flop, chk/call the turn, if not, bet/call (you want to get one bet out of him if he's gonna call you down) and chk/r (if he's still leading for you) or bet/r the river.

The minute you c/r a street people will get very worried (especially tight players). When you c/r him twice, of course he's gone. You really need to let him catch something that will get him interested. You're pretty safe with quads, so the more free/"safe" cards you can give, the better chance the others will get something to get involved with vs. your (looks like) trips.

Given that he was willing to 3-bet you on the flop, you probably missed at least 2BB-3BB by over playing the turn.