PDA

View Full Version : Textbook Preflop Fold?

J6o All In
04-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Will I be dominated too often to make this call worthwhile?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 9.75 BB, between UTG and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (9.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Ac Kc (one pair, kings).
Hero shows Ks Qs (one pair, kings).
Outcome: UTG wins 9.75 BB. </font>

JSD
04-07-2004, 11:08 PM
I probably call with KQs here, especially since you have another coldcaller behind you and hopefully one or both blinds will come along. I play it carefully for high-card value though. KQo is an easy muck here, unless UTG has very loose raising standards, in which case I 3-bet to try to get it heads-up (but obviously not in this case since there is a coldcaller in the middle).

Having said that, I think you played fine post-flop. UTG played like a little girl not 3-betting the flop and maintaining aggression.

siccjay
04-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Note UTG = Sissy

sfer
04-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Depends on the table. Ideally, you'd like to be on the button and have everyone coldcall. If the blinds are loose and I'm pretty damn sure they're calling I might think about coldcalling. But with only one coldcaller ahead of me, two off the button, and no read on the blinds, I muck.

HajiShirazu
04-08-2004, 03:32 AM
I know KQs is pretty and all that, but, while Party games are soft, most... of the time when someone raises UTG, they have some sort of big ace or big pair. Also, the 1/2 10 handed games at party tend to be pretty passive at times-and passive players don't like raising without AK/QQ/KK/AA, as many shocking showdowns where I have been beaten by unraised, weakly played TT/JJ/AQ/AJ, even AK have shown me. With the cold caller, it is not quite as bad because your hand is suited, but you're still going to lose the same amount of money if you are dominated and catch while he does/are against AA or KK, and if you are dominated, you're still going to be putting two bets in the pot with the worst hand. I would need a lot of people to call this raise, probably 3 or 4 callers, before I would consider a cold call here. I'd probably want to be on the button also.
This is just really a really general observation that I have made about these games, but in my experience, most people don't raise enough themselves and call raises too often, and people end up calling raises too often because other people don't raise enough.

spamuell
04-08-2004, 03:46 AM
I once cold-called a pre-flop raise with KQs because it was so purty. I posted it on this forum and was told something like "think about the hands that a typical player would be raising in that position. Do you still like your cold-call?".

I think KQs is a pretty easy muck to an UTG raise given only the one cold-caller. Have AQs in the same situation and we've got something to talk about (against a typical .5/1 or 1/2 player, I'd still probably fold).