PDA

View Full Version : a nice friendly post

Boris
04-07-2004, 09:54 PM
let's talk beer. Normally I'm kind of a low class beer drinker, budweiser, PBR, etc.. I'll drink it (result of Montana upbringing). Lately though I was introduced to, in my mind at least, a high class lager. Pilsner Urquell in my mind is the pefect summer time brew. Assuming of course that you're not losing your ass at the the poker tables. The taste is mellow but not watery and leaves abslolutely no hangover. Contrast this with Budweiser and other lagers and there is no doubt in my mind that beer is well worth it if its within your price range. Basically I've sold my soul to the yuppie beer drinkers. But that's ok, so far. Other opinions on good light beers appreciated.

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2004, 10:45 PM
first of all there is nothing wrong with expensive beer, as long as its not to bad.
secondly Pilsner Urquell is very good. I recomend you try the draft version, it has a much better taste.
Third, I went to school in montana for a year, they do indeed drink cheap crappy beer there. I hadn't seen red dog for a long time until I saw it in Montana.
Fourth, I think Labbats is a pretty good light beer.

Coilean
04-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Personally, my favorite lighter bodied beers are hefeweizens, belgian whites, and unfiltered wheats. If you get a chance, try Franziskaner, Blue Moon, and Sunshine, which are all excellent. For cheaper beers, I'm more a Corona/Amberbock guy.

Matt Flynn
04-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Not quite so light but I've always loved Singha.

Matt

Ulysses
04-07-2004, 11:30 PM
For light beers, I like Asian beers. Kirin, Sapporo, Tsingtao, Asahi, etc. Kirin's probably my favorite.

Ulysses
04-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Yeah, Singha too...

BadBoyBenny
04-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Best beer I've ever had was called La Trappe Quad, it was the first Belgian quad ever made. Unfortunately the monestary sold out to a larger brewer and I don't know if it will be the same.

Another good Belgian is Delirium Tremens. I like Trppels, Dubbels and Abbeys more than the whites, but someone who likes wheat beers or hefeweizens would dig the Belgian whites.

Pilsner Urquell is decent, I don't like it as much as the other ones I had in the Pilsen region, but I didn't get the Urquell at the brewery like the others.

My favorite American beer I've had was at a brewery in Seattle called the Elysian. Anyone else been there? Their beers are disgustingly good.

I'll drink low class beer with my buddies who are into that kind of thing. I've had a lot of Beast Ice in the last 3 months, but I can't take it much longer.

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2004, 11:39 PM
I live in Seattle where is the Elsyian?

BadBoyBenny
04-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Cracka,

I'm from Pittsburgh my brother lives in Seattle, so I couldn't give you good directions, but Pike street is a pretty main drag so you should be able to figure it out

Elysian Brewing Company 1221 E Pike St

MMMMMM
04-08-2004, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't drink Bud or Miller for free; you'd have to pay me.

Beck's Light is not bad, Sam Adams is decent too; but if you're going to drink beer you might as well be a man about it and drink Stout or Dark beer.

Bill Murphy
04-08-2004, 12:24 AM
PilsUrq is da bomb. Ain't no yuppie beer. Good 24/365. Might be the best Pils/lager/"light" beer in the world.

Best pure summer/beach beer? Pacifico.

Bill Murphy
04-08-2004, 12:27 AM
"For cheaper beers, I'm more a Corona/Amberbock guy."

M'man! Esp the Amber on draft. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

HDPM
04-08-2004, 12:32 AM
My problem in this thread is that every post I say, "Yeah I like that one." "Oh, that's good too." "Yeah, I drink that." Bad sign. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Zeno
04-08-2004, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Best pure summer/beach beer? Pacifico.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that choice. Good pick.

-Zeno

Matt Flynn
04-08-2004, 12:49 AM
I was in Prague in 1986. At the American hotel, by far the most expensive place your average tourist would go to, Pilsner Urquel was $0.10/bottle. We went to a local bar and four of us got completely blotto on $3. That's is one of my fondest I-can't-remembers.

Zeno
04-08-2004, 12:50 AM
I think I've said this before but Full Sail Ale is very good and IPA by Redhook is one of my favorites. Negro Modelo is also a great dark beer. All these should be available almost everywhere. And Anchor Steam out of San Fran is also very tasty and one of my favorites.

-Zeno

Boris
04-08-2004, 12:51 AM
When I was at MSU in Bozeman you could get a pitcher of Full Sail for $5 at the Molly Browns. without a doubt the best beer deal I've ever come across.

You could also go to the Cat's Paw on Thursday night and drink as much as humanly possible for $5. Yikes. nothing like waking up with puke on the shoe laces. lol.

Ray Zee
04-08-2004, 01:08 AM
aw, they all taste the same as a boiler maker. you guys are as bad as the name droppers in the wine dept. worrying about whether you got 92 or 91 points. besides after the first five you cant tell the difference between light and dark.

Boris
04-08-2004, 01:11 AM
lol. I was in Prague in '94. I stayed at a Youth Hostel that had one of those circle jerk showers. I toured the city with a japanese guy and a swede. We go to lunch and the japanese guy gets completely blotto. He starts hitting on the waitress, stumbling around and generally running amok. Me and the Swede are trying to drag him back to the youth hostel. Well apparently the swede and the jap had taken a shower at the same time that morning the japanese guy starts going off about how he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen that the swede had blond pubic hair. I almost pissed myself laughing.

Boris
04-08-2004, 01:13 AM
full sail is my overall favorite. only problem is it gives you a nasty hangover. IMO, its also not really a summer day beer.

Coilean
04-08-2004, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
... besides after the first five you cant tell the difference between light and dark

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't disagree with that, but I still stand by my choices for the first 3 drinks /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Ulysses
04-08-2004, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And Anchor Steam out of San Fran is also very tasty and one of my favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we drink a lot of that out here. We drink a fair bit of Sierra Nevada as well.

stripsqueez
04-08-2004, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was in Prague in 1986. At the American hotel, by far the most expensive place your average tourist would go to, Pilsner Urquel was $0.10/bottle

[/ QUOTE ]

i was in prague in 1990 - i dont know how you went past the original AKA budweiser - .09c AUS - about .06c US a pint

as for my personal preference - tsingtao or corona for a summer beer - guinness otherwise

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Silent0ne
04-08-2004, 03:18 AM
I was stationed at McChord AFB, in Tacoma, WA and was introduced to Henry Weinhard's(sp?)by some friends. They brew a variety of beers, I liked the Hefeweizen best.

scalf
04-08-2004, 08:36 AM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif hd: you are clearly a scholar, a gentleman, and a good judge of fine whiskies...

and do not confuse education with intelligence...

lol

gl /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Pilsner Urquell has long been considered one of the best beers in the world. I myself prefer the extra hoppy taste of an IPA. In the eastern part of the US, the best by far is Harpoon IPA. Nationwide, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is superior as well.

For a good light lager, try Cooper's Lager from Australia.

Ed I
04-08-2004, 10:06 AM
Did you play poker at the Cat's Paw or Scoop? You were most likely there after they moved the cardroom into the bar. The music could be unbearable at times. The games were good in the 80s, before your time I believe.

scalf
04-08-2004, 10:35 AM
kurn..

i am withya on that snpa; but sometimes it's not as good as others here on east coast..

i still drink it

lol

gl /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
04-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Henry's makes pretty good beer. The Blackberry Wheat is probably my favorite, followed by the Pale. I think it is a west coast beer although I might be wrong.

The Redhook IPA is pretty good.

For the record Heifeweizen is most def. not a light beer, atleast all the ones I have had.

I would also like to second the motion that if you are going to drink a beer it might as well be a thick stout. Nothing like putting more hair on your balls, chest, back, etc......... maybe I should stop drinking those /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jezebel
04-08-2004, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For cheaper beers, I'm more a Corona/Amberbock guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheaper?!?!? Those are high dollar top shelf ales!!! In all seriousness, all light pilsners taste pretty much the same. Buy the name if you want, but I'll bet that 99% of light beer drinkers would pick a mid to lower priced beer in a taste test. Busch Light, Schlitz, and Milwaukees Best would probably taste alot better to you guys if you didn't let marketing cloud your judgement. Don't believe me? Try a taste test with your buddies and let me know how it turned out.

For my money, it is hard to beat a good home brew.

ThaSaltCracka
04-08-2004, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Busch Light, Schlitz, and Milwaukees Best would probably taste alot better to you guys if you didn't let marketing cloud your judgement.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can say from experience that the three beers you listed in fact not only taste like [censored], but they give you the shits. If I buy cheap beer(which there is nothing wrong with either) I would buy Budweiser or Coors. Schlitz is disgusting, Busch is bearable, and the beast.... ah the beast... I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered, but I am not buying this either. If you consider those good home brews, maybe you should move to some place thats makes some real beer.

andyfox
04-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Pilsner Urguell is the best tasting beer in the world. Including everything.

DonWaade
04-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Henrys is really good. I like all of his beers. I dont get much of a chance to drink it anymore as it does not make it to Texas. I guess I am stuck with freakin Lone Star.

Also, Redhook used to make or maybe still does in minute quantities, a fantastic Rye. I am not sure where to find it anymore.

TylerD
04-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Pilsner Urquell is definately one of my favourite beers, especially the 75cl version! Also good is Nastro Azuro (sp?) and good old Budvar (not Budweiser!).

Jezebel
04-08-2004, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I buy cheap beer(which there is nothing wrong with either) I would buy Budweiser or Coors.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you are really honest with yourself, the primary reason you would pick Bud or Coors has nothing to do with the taste. If taste was an issue you would buy Keystone Light. It is the exact same beer as Coors, the only difference is the label, the image and the price.

ThaSaltCracka
04-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Nothing wrong with Key light either. I don't buy C- or Key light though, unless I am gettin drunk with the fellas. I will buy Bud though on occasion because its usually on sale.

Here is the difference though, Coors and Keystone, and Budweiser and Busch, taste waaaaaay better than the Beast, Schlitz, Hamms, Ranier, Icehouse, Red Dog, High Life. You can't deny that. So thats why I would buy them over the others you listed, it is indeed the taste.

FWIW, I would rather drink a fourty of OE than drink the beast or schlitz.

Silent0ne
04-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Well, there is always Shiner Bock

adios
04-08-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm in agreement with Ray more or less. Speaking of interesting times in Europe drinking beer, I remember a quite interesting time at the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam when I was in my early 20's.

Boris
04-08-2004, 03:17 PM
I played a couple times when I was piss drunk. Lost my ass. I didn't realy start playing poker seriously until I moved to California and didn't have anything else to do.

Boris
04-08-2004, 03:20 PM
You are mistaken about Rainier. It is probably the best of the bottom priced beers. I would choose Rainier over Bud, coors, etc.. any day.

ThaSaltCracka
04-08-2004, 03:29 PM
whoah whoah whoah, [ QUOTE ]
You are mistaken about Rainier. It is probably the best of the bottom priced beers. I would choose Rainier over Bud, coors, etc.. any day.

[/ QUOTE ]
your serious??? whens the last time you had one?

Ray Zee
04-08-2004, 08:27 PM
steam beer is like cough syrup and pale ale is like water. forget about california beers. forget shlitz, bud, and the rest of the cheap production crap. heni is tasteless plus most of the foreign beers are altered for taste when imported to the u.s.
negro modello is the best for a darker beer.
labatts blue for a cheap light beer.
fosters if you want to drink.

now hows dem dare picks fellas.

J.A.Sucker
04-08-2004, 08:35 PM
For summertime beer drinking, I can't do better than a nice, heavy, cold bottle of Pacifico. The first time I ever had it was early in my freshman year in college. It was wednesday afteroon and Renato, a Brazilian known as "the Latin Lover" (he pulled more ass than a subway) told me, stoned out of his gourde, "man, in Brazil, we drink this..." and we knocked out a case. Whenever I go to Mexico, it's Pacifico at all times of the day; it's quite tasty con huevos. Every bottle is like taking a vacation.

For other drinking beers, I'm partial to Fat Tire, which you can get regionally now, though I really long for O'Dell's 90 Schilling and Easy St. Wheat beers from Colorado.

Hey Zee, you're wrong about Heni. It's not tasteless; urinal cakes my friend, urinal cakes.

banditbdl
04-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Labatts Blue and the Blue Light definitely gets it done as far as the cheaper, light beers go.

banditbdl
04-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I think in general you may have a point here, but when you start throwing the Beast in there you've crossed the line. It's just flat out terrible, I would probably spit it out during the taste test.

Ulysses
04-08-2004, 10:10 PM
I always thought it was really cool to drink Pacifico instead of Corona until someone pointed out to me that they are from the same people.

Bill Murphy
04-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Kinda like how most of the posters are Poo-Bah's, or higher... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

TJSWAN
04-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Ray,

Used to drink the Foster's when it was still canned in those indestructible steel drums. We called 'em oil cans 'cause they'd get you lubed up real good. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Now I think it's made in Canada ( no offense to all the Northerners here ) and it just doesn't taste the same.

And let us not forget the Moose Drool. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

Tim

Oh, and here's a fun beer link. (http://www.ohhh.myhead.org)

Zeno
04-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Go Fishing Ray. You are Wrong and Wrong and then Wrong again.

Everyone should drink Beer that suits or fits what THEY like. I enjoy Anchor Steam. I enjoy Pale Ales. I enjoy Negro Modello. I enjoy beers from the Widmer Brothers and Redhook brewies and from forgein sources as well. So that is what I drink, mostly.

Now I need to scoot on down to town. I have to get my fishing license. True!

Zeno: always friendly, all the time.

Victor
04-09-2004, 12:49 PM
The best beer hands down comes from the Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland, OH. If you are ever in Cleveland it is a must see (probably the only must see in cleve).

Anyway, their best beer is the seasonal brew "Christmas Ale"

Ray Zee
04-09-2004, 03:35 PM
zeno, the river is in runoff and i cant fish unless i go lake fishing. so thats that. but you need to look at your taste buds if you can stomach that syrup called steam beer. have you had anything like cigars or such that could ruin your taste in beer recently. perhaps a checkup is in order.

Ray Zee
04-09-2004, 03:39 PM
tj, i mostly drank fosters in aust. and way back when it first appeared in the u.s. if they changed where its made cross it off my list. nowadays i am labatts blue and negro modello and moose drool and black dog ale. and of course anything thats free.

Diplomat
04-09-2004, 03:41 PM
It's unfortunate that the only Canadian beers that make it out of here in any great numbers are the standard runs of Molson's and Labatt's, because they really are the worst of what Canada has to offer for beer. Like the US, there are -tons- of great micro/medium breweries that never export their beer. One that comes to mind is Cremore, which makes a fantastic smooth beer. Also, they are available in 8-packs of 500 ml (not sure size that would be in the US; roughly %50 more than a standard can) bottles that are just about right for a 6pm - midnight drunkfest.

There, my Friday night was just planned.

-Diplomat

John Feeney
04-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Okay, here are two from San Diego that are worth a try. (Ray forgot about them when he crossed all Cali beers off the list.) Karl Strauss Amber Lager is quite good, light enough for non-beer-snob-wannabees to enjoy, subtle enough for the anyone to appreciate, I think. Another good one is Stone IPA. But I'm afraid it appeals too much to the beer-snob-wannabees to be totally supportable. (I don't think there's really such a thing as an actual beer snob. They're all wanabbes for reasons I won't bother with. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

As a bonus, try MacTarnahan's Amber Ale from Portland.