PDA

View Full Version : Limit convert needs some No Limit, "all in" help

Ken Morris
04-07-2004, 03:10 PM
First, thanks to all those at 2+2 who sold me on switching from Limit SNGs to NL. Special thanks to AleoMagus and ByronKincaid for fleshing out a good formula for new NL players.

The following is from a recent $5 SNG on Stars. We are at Level VI (100/200), with six players remaining.

Hero is the chip leader w/ T4185. BB has T1220. I have no specific read on the BB, but he has played relatively fewer hands than is typical.

It's folded to Hero on the button, who raises 2BB (to T600) with pocket 88. SB folds, and BB pushes (which is about a pot-size raise). Hero calls. BB shows KK, which holds up.

Was this a crazy call?

La Brujita
04-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Ken you played it fine. In terms of terminology when you raise from 200 to 600 we call that a raise to/of 3x the bb even though the raise is only technically "of 2xbb".

Now to the hand, a reasonable BB might suspect you of a steal and push with 66, 77, AJ, AQ, AK (or worse). He also might have a hand which has you buried, 99 or higher basically. To really understand whether you make a good call you have to figure out (among other things) your hand's ev vs the weighted average of probabilities of hands me might hold, any incremental benefit from knocking out a relatively short stack etc.

The short answer is you need an ev of about 620/2540 to make this a good call which is about 24%. This is a pretty clear call.

Ken Morris
04-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply, and the tip on terminology. Yes, the way I figured it in my "limit game" brain is that I was getting 3:1 on my call. I figured I wasn't a 3:1 dog.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-07-2004, 04:16 PM
When it gets back to you there's 2120 in the pot and it costs you only 620 to call. That's 3.42 - 1. He doesn't need an overpair to your 88 to make this play against a button raise. Easy call.

byronkincaid
04-07-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Special thanks to AleoMagus and ByronKincaid for fleshing out a good formula for new NL players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, it wasn't me. Aleo is one of the most helpful posters on this board and I am one of the most unhelpful. I just absorb all the useful stuff and don't give anything back. I do of course show how grateful I am by occasionally kicking butt at the Euro SNG.

With regards to your question, I would have called. There's a good chance it's a coin flip and you've got a big enough stack to withstand the loss. Not that I have any idea of how to play a large stack being such a weak tight, suck out on better players, flukey kind of guy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken Morris
04-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Sorry, my mistake. It was BenFranklin who summarized Aleo's thoughts on Beating the Party 10+1. Apologies to Ben. Byron, just about everyone on this site has helped me, either by offering sound advice, by asking questions I would ask, or simply by sharing my enthusiasm. Thanks for the clarification.