PDA

View Full Version : All-In Heads Up

King Momus
04-07-2004, 02:55 PM
I've just started playing SNGs this week. I've played limit almost exclusively in the past and I'm trying to improve my no-limit game at low buy-ins. I've played eight games so far (3x1st, 3x2nd). I'm happy with the results, and don't expect to consistently win at this rate long-term, but I have a question about heads-up play.

Specifically, with the steep structures in these SNGs, am I right that the heads-up game will usually be decided by a coin flip? It seems that the blinds are so high once it gets to heads-up that any decent bet represents a large percentage of a typical stack.

For example, I finished 2nd in the two games I played last night. In both games, the stacks were pretty similar--neither of us had a huge advantage. In the first game, with 250/500 blinds and a stack near-enough to $5000 that it doesn't matter, I raised $1500 on button with 22. Opponent re-raises all-in. If I fold, my opponent will have double my stack. If I call, I'm at best a slight favorite if he has two big cards (most likely), at wost a big dog if he has a pocket pair. I called, he had JTs, so I was a slight dog. A jack came on the flop--game over. Is this a bad call? Or do you just take your chances with the coin flips in these situations?

(In the next game, I went all-in with AJs and lost to A8o, so that one was easy enough to evaluate.)

Thanks all!

La Brujita
04-07-2004, 03:37 PM
It looks like you are playing at PP, and with the blinds as big as they usually get there is a huge amount of luck involved at the end. I think you made the correct call with your ducks. The only huge mistake you can make hu is playing too timidly.

Regards