PDA

View Full Version : .5/1 BB position KILLING me

ZootMurph
04-07-2004, 02:32 PM
I looked at my pokertracker stats, and I've found I'm doing well at every position except BB. Also position 5 & 6 (but I have so few hands there it's basically irrelevant.

I have 2200 total hands (don't remember how many hands in the BB), and I've lost nearly $100 from BB. I have to assume that some loss is reasonable since I'm in a pot with jumk and I fold to a bet usually... but that seems to be a bit large to me. Does anyone else see a big loss in BB?

One problem is calling too many raises with junk... but that doesn't account enough for my obvious leak. I haven't had time to look at the individual hands yet, but I will be looking later on.

In the meantime, can anyone give me any generic advice about playing the BB? I play .5/1 at Party and UB.

tech
04-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Just curious ... is this including the blinds or not? If it is, what is your p/l from the BB when you subtract out the blinds? It is the next column over in PokerTracker I think.

For me, I show only a small profit in the BB when you include the blinds, but it is my biggest winner when you subtract them out (erroneous of course because that means a freeroll on the hand, but still a good indicator).

bisonbison
04-07-2004, 02:52 PM
If you include your forced bet, you will lose money in the blinds. Everyone does, given enough time.

If you don't include the forced bet, you should be a winner there, despite the bad position, because you get to see a ton of flops for free.

Zetack
04-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Yes everybody shows a huge amount of loss in the BB because the cummulative amount of putting in the forced bet is huge...much bigger than the rake you are paying in all likelihood.

Think of the blind bets, though as payment to see ten hands. The cost should be spread over all ten positions to get a true picture of your winning at any position. Take the amount required to post blind total at the bottom (the number for both the sb and bb added together) divide by ten and subtract that number from each seats amount. (for the blinds subtract that from the Diff without blinds amount). This isn't 100 percent accurate because you don't play full handed 100 percent of the time, but it'll give you a better idea of how you're actually doing at each position.

I think you'll find you're actually a bigger winner in the BB than anywhere else, because of the opportunity to hit those miracle flops.

--Zetack

Ok, Ok, I'm not a mathmetician, in fact if there were such a thing as the opposite of a mathmetician I'm sure I'd qualify...my methodology probably has some big holes in it. Here's what occurs to me: by spreading the cost of the sb and BB over each position you create this distortion: .15 small bets is added to the cost of playing each hand whether you sit there or see the flop. So the BB, because he sees flops for no additional cost, is now only being charged .15 small bets to see a flop, while every other postion (except the small blind) has to put in an additional small bet and so is being charged 1.15 small bets to see a flop.

There may be a better way to do all this that gives a truer allocation of costs, but still, this'll give you a better picture I think of profit in each seat than the straight poker traker stats. Ya know, to the extent that's important to ya.

kiemo
04-07-2004, 04:33 PM
From the big blind I am down about 61 BB.

Take away the forced bet and I am up 133 BB.

It isnt you.

ZootMurph
04-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Looking at the winning without the forced bet, I am very slightly behind.

After looking at many of the hands, I've found my problem is that I stay in too long instead of getting out while I can. In B&M games, I am usually raised out of the hand when I have nothing in BB, so I have to think more in that situation instead of 'going with the flow'.

Thanks for the replies!