PDA

View Full Version : Year-to-Date

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Disclaimer: in this post I'm looking for feedback on my performance overall. This is not meant as a boastful post.

At the outset of the year, I posted that my goal in SNG tournaments was to be 40% in-the-money with a 63% ROI. After the 1st quarter, I'm a bit shy of that.

Overall, in 1 and 2 table events, I've played 154 SNG's (107 2T, 28 10 & 9 handed singles, and 19 6-max singles)

I've finished in the money in a total of 61 events, for an in-the-money percentage of 39.6%, but with an overall ROI of only 33.3%

When down to heads-up, I'm winning 57% of the time.

How does this compare with the success rates for other posters?

William
04-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Kurn,

Anything that shows that you are not losing money is positive. Remember that only a very small percentage of players are long-term winners. So congrats.

There is also a difference if you are winning at 5$ SNGs or at 200$ ones. In the first case it's just a waist of time, in the second one you are making good money.

The only way to evaluate how well people are doing is for them to post what their bankroll is and what they are roughly making on a month basis. Something most of us are not willing to reveal.

I wouldn't have a problem talking about it as I don't have to fear the IRS or any other authorities, but I'm not really sure as how it would be interpreted.

Anyway, I think you have nice results, congrats.

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-07-2004, 02:23 PM
The only way to evaluate how well people are doing is for them to post what their bankroll is and what they are roughly making on a month basis.

Thanks, William. I certainly agree with you on this. My bankroll was crippled at the outset of the year, so my play has been almost entirely at the $10 & $20 levels.

The goal is to build my bankroll, so by year-end I can enter the realm of making real money at this, all while working real-world job at the same time. Reading your posts has helped me modulate my tendency to get too LAG at times.

La Brujita
04-07-2004, 02:53 PM
William as you mentioned you wouldn't mind talking about it I would love to hear how you have been doing this year and also how long it took you to move up each step of the earning ladder.

As for me, I am doing pretty terribly this year, largely due to a few long losing streaks. I am making about $300 a week which is not that great as compared to the last quarter of last year. I am sure i know more about the game of poker than I did last year but I can't put my finger on my losses other than to say I have been going through a rough stretch of cards.

If anyone is curious, I have not been posting much advice on these forums lately because until I regain my confidence that I am a "great player" (the confidence I believe you need to be a solid winning player) I don't believe my advice is worth as much as it used to be. I am differentiating between being a great player and having that confidence very purposefully. Most of us (probably me included) are not "great players". But at least we see what we think is the correct play or correct range of plays in a given situation and can post our advice. I have such a wide range of poker thoughts running through my head these days it is hard to offer advice. That is why I am trying to get back to solid straightforward poker at most times. Perhaps these wide range of thoughts are another stage in the developmental process as a poker player, perhaps they are due to months of so so cards. Sorry for the long winded paragraph taking this post slightly off topic.

BTW I never focus too much on ROI or any other percentages other than hourly earn and weekly earn.

William
04-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Hi LB,

I hope this is not consider by some as arrogant, bragging, etc... it is just meant as informative.

I have been doing qiute well this year.
Everything started with some juicy omaha games in Sweden. I went over there the first time with 500$ and after 2 months I am up 20k. This made it possible to move up in my online NL ring games.
I had been playing 200NL, (blinds 1/2) and gave the 600NL at stars a try (blinds 3/6). I won many sessions before losing and it made me feel comfortable with the game. Soon I got to know most of the regulars and it became easy to play. For the last month or so winnings have been very consistant, between 1.5 and 2K per day. It takes about 3x2-hours sessions to achieve that.
I don't know if this will continue or if I have been extremely lucky, but my self-confidence is way up there and that helps. Usually I play 3-5 tables at a time (both 600 and 400NL)for about 2 hours and then take a break.

I keep a bankroll of about 3K at Stars and have had 1 losing day since I started (Around 300$). Of course I lose plenty of very big pots, but I try not to go on tilt when it happens, it is part of the game and there are plenty of big pots the other way too.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad streak. Hang in there, I know you are an excellewnt player but sometimes it is difficult to keep going when we feel demoralized. I have been there, but at the end, all good things come to those who deserve it.

Take care,

La Brujita
04-07-2004, 05:24 PM
William,

Those are absolutely phenomenal results. You should be very proud of doing so well. I hope others view your posting of those results as I do, the posting is a good thing, a possibility that we also can strive to achieve.

I have been watching some bigger nl cash games and have seen some really weak play. I am considering jumping in, right now I am playing (just for the last two weeks) two or three $100 nl games at once.

All that being said, having a look at your results, it seems as though it will be difficult to maintain winning 29/30 days consistently. You have given some great advice on this forum and I think switching from one tablers to nl ring games (or at least mixing it up) may be some of your best advice.

What I am liking about the nl cash games is the break from the artificial nature of bubble play that happens almost every game. What I am not liking is the constant outdraws /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

William
04-07-2004, 05:37 PM
What I am liking about the nl cash games is the break from the artificial nature of bubble play that happens almost every game. What I am not liking is the constant outdraws

This is why your table image is extremely important. (and also why I don't like playing at Party, there are so many players, you need to rebuild your image everytime, while at smaller sites, there are many regulars who remember you).

If you play like a rock, you will be put under pressure every time you are involved in a pot and the flop comes rags. If you play too lose, you will never be able to steal a pot. So it is a question of having the other players respect you, but still, they must always be souspicious that you don't really have what you are representing. And mostly, even when you have big cards, being able to get away from a pot if there is a high risk of losing all your stack. Sometimes this is not possible, but it shouldn't happen more often than absolutely necessary.

PrayingMantis
04-07-2004, 05:46 PM
William,

Truely amazing results. I have one question, tho, out of sheer curiousity. You talk about how the real money and the serious poker is in the NL ring games, and not SNGs, but still, if I notice, you never post anything on the NL-PL board here on 2+2, yet you are obviously pretty dedicated to this SNG board. Why is that? Do you find the NL board not relevant enough for your specific way of playing ring?

byronkincaid
04-07-2004, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope this is not consider by some as arrogant, bragging, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by me. I am inspired by posts like this. Thank You.

BK

TylerD
04-07-2004, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my self-confidence is way up

[/ QUOTE ]

Never would have guessed /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Truly incredible results, congratulations. Do you ever play the big Omaha game online or is it strictly hold'em.

William
04-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi PM,

First, congrats on your nice results at the SNGs tourneys, very consistant /images/graemlins/smile.gif

To answer your question about me posting here, I have been playing SNGs all of last year. Not exclusively, but I always play 4/5 tables at the time, and there was always at least one SNG going on. However, lately, I have played mostly ring games. I guess because I have moved up in levels, the SNGs are just not profitable enough, and naturally I have lost interest. The same has hapenned with the many multis I used to play, I still play them every now and then, but it is most for the change of pace.
I do read the posts at the Pot Limit/ NL forum and ocasionally make a post, mostly asking questions. There are many good players that post over there.

But the truth is that many of you have becomed my friends at the one-table forum and i would rather talk with you than with a bunch of players I don't know. Also because all of my posts are not that "serious" and here many know what kind of "sick" humor I have /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And when I can and find an interesting subject, I still believe I can contribute with a comment or two.

Take care,

PrayingMantis
04-07-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, congrats on your nice results at the SNGs tourneys, very consistant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep busting first or not showing-up, and my results might get even more consistent! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And thanks for the reply. SNGs are obviously a great way to build a bankroll, but probably not the most profitable way to go, when you already have a bankroll that is big enough...

Daliman
04-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Well, i william, i disagree with you on profitabilty. I am up over 20k since Feb 1 with some TERRIBLE runs in SNG's, but congrats on your results.

Jurollo
04-08-2004, 04:22 PM
I think the assumption that you are wasting your time at $5 or $10 SNGs is a fallacy. Granted your profits will be less, the risk is also less. And for those without a huge bankroll for poker any profit is a step in the right direction. It all comes down to how much you are willing to risk, and that figure determines the inevitable ceiling on your profits.