PDA

View Full Version : Was I right to slow donw on the River

DeadWallet
04-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Im a very new player and this was the first time Ive gotten AA playing online.

UB .25/.50 (by the way dows anyone know of a converter for UB histories?)

DeadWallet has A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif in CO

UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, DeadWallet raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1, checks, DeadWallet bets, BB raises, call, call, call

<font color="blue">uh-oh looks like BB might have a set</font>

Turn: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif [J /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

cool, made the straight, dont have to worry about the set anymore.

BB bets, call, call, DeadWallet raises, call, call, call

River: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif [K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

<font color="blue">on no, a flush with all this calling Im sure someone was on a flush draw but I dont want to fold the AA's so I go into call mode</font>

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets, DeadWallet calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds

Results (white):<font color="white">
MP2 shows Ks6s and my hand is good

afterwords MP2 says "worth a shot"
</font>
Im looking for comments on the hand in general, but mostly on slowing down because of the 3 flush on the board. I would have bet if it had been checked to me, but in retrospect, I dont think anyond without a flush would have called so that probably would have been a mistake...

what do you think?

Nottom
04-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Looks pretty standard to me. A river raise only serves to fold all the hands you are ahead of and open yourself up to a 3-bet from the flush. Perfect time to go for some overcalls.

If its checked to you, you have to bet. People will call without the flush all day long.

JSD
04-07-2004, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">uh-oh looks like BB might have a set</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bet the flop and take control of the hand. You can't give anyone credit for a set just because they check/raise the flop. This could mean TPTK, a flush draw, or a straight draw, all of which you are ahead of. The only hands you're really worried about here are AK,QQ,JJ and TT. These are all probably worth a 3-bet pre-flop and remember that BB only called your pre-flop raise, so I have a hard time thinking I'm behind here. Besides, every micro player and their mother slowplay their sets on the flop and then check/raise the turn with them. My experience has been that a flop check/raise is rarely an indication of a set against typical players.

Your play on the turn and river looks good. I guess one benefit of just calling on the flop is that when you hit your straight on the turn, you got to pop him back. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ggano
04-07-2004, 01:02 PM
The odds of someone having the flush in this case are very low. It's a backdoor flush (only one heart fell on the flop), and they would have had to call 2 bets cold on the flop with their backdoor draw (plus something else, presumably). Plus, you know they didn't have the nut flush draw because you have the A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. That said, I agree with the call here, going for overcalls from the people behind you. On average you'll probably get about the same amount of money into the pot when you're ahead, and you'll lose less in the small number of times when you're behind.