PDA

View Full Version : Did I scare too easily?

Nemesis
04-07-2004, 11:10 AM
No real reads on opponents, pretty standard table.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Nem is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Nem raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Nem bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Nem calls, BB folds, UTG+2 folds.

I thought this made him 3 of a kind 10's right here.

River: (9 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Nem calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP3 shows 3d Ac (two pair, aces and tens).
Nem shows Jh As (two pair, aces and tens).
Outcome: Nem wins 11 BB. </font>

bisonbison
04-07-2004, 02:25 PM
looks normal to me.

You'll win often enough that you must call him down, but raising the turn will win you less when you're ahead and lose you more when you're behind.

Zetack
04-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Well its a mystery why he would check call the flop then bet out this turn. Could he conceivably think he will fold out a better ace with the second ten falling?

Actually, from your point of view, this might make sense: a guy with a pair of Jacks, or small pair, or whatever who was hoping nobody had an ace might bet out here with the scary card hoping to knock out somebody with K-Q. Although, now that I think of it, its a play that'd make more sense if the overcard to the tens were a jack (and his pair wasn't jacks) so he'd could knock out any random A,K or Q hands.

Bottom line is, there aren't a lot of great reasons to make this play with the ace on board other than having a ten so there's nothing wrong with being cautious. The flip side is that micro players may not be rational, so his turn bet could mean anything at all.

I'm good with either playing this as what it appears to be and calling him down, or seeing if its a micro-limit bizarro world play and raising him on the turn and seeing if he three bets. (Boy am I helpfull or what?)

--Zetack

StellarWind
04-07-2004, 03:20 PM
At first I wanted to fold the turn because he has a ten and you don't have great odds to call a bluff. Then I saw his hand and the lightbulb went on. Accidental or not, he made a great play:

1. He understandably doesn't want to fold TP because it could be good. Betting is just as cheap as calling because the trips threat prevents a raise.

2. He avoids a free card when he is ahead.

3. He gains a powerful bluff, not only against you but also the weak drawing hands and junk aces in BB and UTG+2.

4. The board pairing means he just picked up 11 outs to a split against your actual hand and varying numbers of outs against other aces his opponents might hold.

5. If you raise anyway the handwriting is on the wall and he saves a bet by folding.

6. Making plays like this really helps with getting paid when you do hit the jackpot on the turn.

I've got to try this sometime.