PDA

View Full Version : Was I right to slow down on the river

DeadWallet
04-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Im a very new player and this was the first time Ive gotten AA playing online.

UB .25/.50 (by the way dows anyone know of a converter for UB histories?)

DeadWallet has A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif in CO

UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, DeadWallet raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1, checks, DeadWallet bets, BB raises, call, call, call

<font color="blue">uh-oh looks like BB might have a set</font>

Turn: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif [J /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

cool, made the straight, dont have to worry about the set anymore.

BB bets, call, call, DeadWallet raises, call, call, call

River: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif [K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

<font color="blue">on no, a flush with all this calling Im sure someone was on a flush draw but I dont want to fold the AA's so I go into call mode</font>

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets, DeadWallet calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds

Results (white):<font color="white">
MP2 shows Ks6s and my hand is good

afterwords MP2 says "worth a shot"
</font>
Im looking for comments on the hand in general, but mostly on slowing down because of the 3 flush on the board. I would have bet if it had been checked to me, but in retrospect, I dont think anyond without a flush would have called so that probably would have been a mistake...

what do you think?

oops meant to post this in micro limits

beerbandit
04-07-2004, 11:16 AM
I doubt the final heart made the flush. If a diamond came I would have been more concerned. I raise the river and possibly get a nine to call or even two pair. You may end up even splitting the pot with another ace. Or if you think that a weaker hand will call but not call a raise and you can win the extra bet.

astroglide
04-07-2004, 11:44 AM
i think you played it fine. hands like k6o will probably fold the river here after making a stab at it, and you'll get called or reraised by better hands.

also, a "set" is a pocket pair + 1 on the board, e.g. 55 with an AK5 flop. A5 with a K55 flop is "trips".

CrackerZack
04-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Other than being WAAAAAAAAAAAY too quick to put BB on a set just because he check-raised a flop bet that Ray Charles saw coming, you played fine. I would've thought about 3-betting the flop, but raising the turn is a good play here too. If the turn isn't a K, do you still raise it? On the river, you may get called if you raise, but going for the overcalls makes more sense.

pokeryogi
04-07-2004, 05:01 PM
I might consider the BB with a flopped straight check/raising to make the diamand flush draws pay double. Which means only the non-diamond 10's (3 outs) makes your hand.
And low and behold, what comes on the turn...
I like your raise on the turn with the nut straight, making flush drawers pay even more. Even though you may be chopping the pot with another ace.