PDA

View Full Version : New player needs some advice

null
04-07-2004, 02:38 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this post, but here goes. I recently started playing hold'em for cash online. Previously I've played it a few times with friends. Since I didn't want to start out totally unprepared, first I read about starting hands, and played some play money games on yahoo. I quickly realized I wasn't learning much playing with play money, since players don't care if they lose it. After reading some posts at this another forum and on this forum, I decided to sign up for Partypoker. The first few days I did fairly well, at least for a new player. I was playing almost exclusively .5/1 limit hold'em games. I played enough hands to unlock my signup bonus, and at one point I was up close to $50.

After playing a few $5 buyin no limit single-table tournaments and doing ok, I decided to try $25 buyin no limit. Here's where things went wrong. As of now I'm down close to $150...but I don't want to give up. Being down this much is killing me, since I know the Party is supposedly full of fish, and I know I'm not as stupid as many of the players I've seen (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use the term "fish" after being down so much /images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I hate being a sucker, and I think some of my poor play is a result of me chasing my losses. I just wish I'd stayed away from $25 buyin NL. I was operating with a $100 bankroll, which was probably not enough to begin with, and I really should have read more about NL hold'em.

I realize that right now I don't know much about hold'em, but I'm trying to educate myself. I've been reading Theory of Poker (got it out of a library), and I ordered Winning Low Limit Hold'em - it should be here soon. And like I said, I've also checked out some stuff online, including a page on starting hands, flopturnriver.com, and of course this site. Any links you have to good strategy sites would be great.

I'm thinking of just sticking to .5/1 after I finally receive and read Winning Low Limit Hold'em and refund my account. While it might not be as dramatic as No Limit, at least my heart won't be pounding while I play, like it does when I go all-in in no limit.

I'm interested in any advice you have to offer. Right now my goal is to learn more, gradually work my way out of this hole, and start earning money. It just seems like it's going to take forever if I'm playing .5/1. Does anyone know of a bonus code for redepositing at Party? I'm also wondering if I should sign up for another site instead of redepositng at Party, just so I could get a bonus. Would this be a good idea, or should I stick with Party?

I think it's cool that many of you are able to consistently make money at poker, and I know that I'm smart enough to learn how to do it. I'm really impressed that some people here are making a living off online poker. Although I doubt that's something I'll ever try, I wouldn't mind having a profitable hobby.

Silent0ne
04-07-2004, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking of just sticking to .5/1 after I finally receive and read Winning Low Limit Hold'em and refund my account. While it might not be as dramatic as No Limit, at least my heart won't be pounding while I play, like it does when I go all-in in no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your best bet as NL is definitely not the way to learn to play, especially on a small bankroll. Stick with the low limits until you build your bankroll back up and are consistently beating the game. Party .5-1 is an easy place to learn and if you keep studying you will be fine. If you want to work on your NL skills try some freeroll or cheap tourneys to start with as the cashgames can be punishing for the beginner. Good luck.

Silent0ne

stripsqueez
04-07-2004, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know the Party is supposedly full of fish, and I know I'm not as stupid as many of the players I've seen

[/ QUOTE ]

understanding chooks is a tremendously valuable skill - whats funny about that is we were all chooks once but the process of learning means you build over and forget current knowledge

[ QUOTE ]
It just seems like it's going to take forever if I'm playing .5/1

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to be very patient to play poker well - so patient that its a natural state

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know of a bonus code for redepositing at Party? I'm also wondering if I should sign up for another site instead of redepositng at Party, just so I could get a bonus. Would this be a good idea, or should I stick with Party?

[/ QUOTE ]

you should search through the internet forum for information and advice about bonuses, affiliates, the good places to play - all 3 before you decide - make an informed choice

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

pokeryogi
04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
For bonuses check out bonuswhores.com. It lists poker sites and there bonus programs.
Stay patient. The long run is longer than you think.
Good luck.