PDA

View Full Version : I played 2nd pair strongly. Was it played well?

The WET BEAVER
04-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Party Poker 5/10 TexasHTGameTable (Limit)
Table (6 max) (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button

Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: TLDAce
Seat 2: sharkyIII
Seat 3: vene59
Seat 4: Thedraftsman
Seat 5: The Wet Beaver
Seat 6: Tokito
The Wet Beaver posts small blind (2)
Tokito posts big blind (5)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to The Wet Beaver[ Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif , 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
TLDAce calls (5)
sharkyIII calls (5)
vene59 folds.
Thedraftsman folds.
The Wet Beaver calls (3)
Tokito checks.

Four players see the flop, I'm in 1st position.

** Dealing Flop ** : 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif, T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
The Wet Beaver bets (5)
Tokito folds.
TLDAce folds.
sharkyIII calls (5)

** Dealing Turn ** : J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
The Wet Beaver bets (10)
sharkyIII calls (10)

** Dealing River ** : 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
The Wet Beaver checks.
sharkyIII checks.

** Summary **

Main Pot: $48 | Rake: $2

Board: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

TLDAce balance $217, lost $5 (folded)
sharkyIII balance $531.50, lost $20 9 6 [ a pair of fours -- Jh,Th,9d,4c,4d ]
vene59 balance $137, didn't bet (folded)
Thedraftsman balance $749, didn't bet (folded)
*The Wet Beaver balance $266, bet $20, collected $48, net +$28 [ Q 8 ] [ two pairs, eights and fours -- Qs,8c,8d,4c,4d ]
Tokito balance $249, lost $5 (folded)

I might not have been right to call preflop, but I was in the small blind and had to pay $3.

I semi-bluffed on flop.

On turn I bet again because it was heads-up.

On river I planned to check/call.

I'm not exactly sure about the strength of 2nd pair in a 6-max game.

Did I play this the right way?

NLSoldier
04-07-2004, 12:06 AM
I don't think I'd consider checking the river playing strongly. Id say you played it more like a wimp. I like to use the rule that if you are planning on calling the river, then its almost always better to bet. The 4 might look a little scary but id say you are more often up against overcards, a small PP, or a straight draw in this situation than against a ten or a 4. BTW, i think the PF call is marginal at best.

The WET BEAVER
04-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Thank you for your advice. I think PF was marginal, but is it true that in shorhanded you're supposed to defend your blinds more, because it might eat you up.

On the river I could have bet for value, but isn't heads-up on the river different? Are you supposed to be a 55% favorite to bet (it might be less if you are first to act). Is it sometimes right to check to induce someone to bluff? Because if he has overcards or a straight draw, he will just fold if I bet.