PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Paglia Article. John Cole Special

HDPM
04-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Here's the article. I may post another article in a separate post for some Ashcroft iconography. Discuss. web page (http://www.bu.edu/arion/Paglia_11.3/Paglia_Magic%20of%20Images.htm)

Zeno
04-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Great article. Paglia is always engaging if nothing else. I spotted something interesting when she is rambling on about art and various crystal skulls etc:

[ QUOTE ]
The world's most celebrated crystal skull—the so-called Skull of Doom—is owned by Anna Mitchell-Hedges, who lived as a child in Port Colborne, Ontario. Her stepfather, a British-born adventurer, claimed she had discovered the skull at a Mayan ruin in Belize on her seventeenth birthday in 1924. From 1967 on, the skull, which weighs eleven and a half pounds, was kept in a felt-lined case in her house in Kitchener, to which pilgrims came from all over the world. A Toronto medium did work with the Skull of Doom and reported on its prophecies in a 1985 book, The Skull Speaks. The BBC producers traveled to Toronto to interview Mrs. Mitchell-Hedges, but she did not allow the skull to be tested. Its present whereabouts are unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it on good authority that 'The Skull of Doom' is really the disembodied head of John Cole. What is even more surpising is that John Cole does not even know this. At least it is surprising to me, but certaintly not surprising to any postmodernist theologian of any standing or import. But that's new age thought and magic for you in this media saturated culture of fast-paced images and micro-second attention spans.

Now, back to our regular programing........