PDA

View Full Version : Too Agressive or just right?

siccjay
04-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Sicc is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Sicc raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Sicc bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Sicc 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Sicc calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Sicc bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Sicc calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Sicc calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 13.25 BB, between Sicc and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP1 (13.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows Qd 2d (full house, queens full of sevens).
Sicc shows Kc Kh (two pair, kings and queens).
Outcome: MP1 wins 13.25 BB. </font>

sublime
04-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Thats a tough one, because of the paired flop. But you had the flush runner, so maybe the 3-bet is cool.

I am intrested in others response to this.

siccjay
04-06-2004, 11:00 PM
I'll explain. I 3bet because a lot of micro limit players will go wild here with any Ace for some reason. When he capped me I figured he had a Queen. He checked the turn so I think, well I'll find out here if he really has a Queen and I bet hoping that he was being over agressive with a flush draw. But no, he check raised me like he was a poker mastermind or something. Then I just called him down on the river, knowing I was going to see some Queen with a sissy kicker and I did.

sublime
04-06-2004, 11:02 PM
LOL
Yeah you 3-bet him then he check-raises you.

Slick move /images/graemlins/smile.gif

siccjay
04-06-2004, 11:07 PM
he capped and then check raised me

sublime
04-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Same difference, obviously you were going to bet....

LOL, I am still wondering what the hell he was thinking.

afk
04-06-2004, 11:54 PM
I think though that when a lot of microlimit players cap and then check-raise - they've got a real hand. I think the jig is up on the turn. I dunno, maybe call the check raise and check-fold the river if he bets into you. But I think this is a situation in which you're almost always behind - and and the pot isn't even all that large.

siccjay
04-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Yea I didn't think I would drag the pot but I didn't have a read on the guy at all so I can't give it up. It is possible he could have had any two cards as well as a Queen.

cold_cash
04-07-2004, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He checked the turn so I think, well I'll find out here if he really has a Queen and I bet hoping that he was being over agressive with a flush draw. But no, he check raised me

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like your plan worked. You asked if he really had a Queen, and he said yes. Now all you have to do is listen. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

This kind of sucks, because if you think he's capable of going ape on the flop with a flush draw, you don't want to give him a freebie on the turn.

On the other hand, if you want to prevent him from seeing a free card, you have to be able to fold to a check-raise.

After his cap on the flop, I think I would take my chances and check the turn through, and call if he bets the river.

afk
04-07-2004, 12:22 AM
I see your logic and I fully agree with it most of the time. Perhaps this is weak-tight of me, but I think this hand particular hand screams that you're beat. I dunno, maybe calling down was correct, I still don't think so, but I'd like to see some other opinions.

sthief09
04-07-2004, 03:31 AM
you played it well. each street looks routine. you can't check after he checks on the turn.

Nottom
04-07-2004, 03:50 AM
I think you played it fine. I'd feel dirty for falling for the turn-checkraise and maybe you can consider folding at that point but I think you need to bet after his check since a lot of players will pump a draw on the flop (certainly something like J /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif).

MortalNuts
04-07-2004, 04:27 AM
So I haven't read the other responses, plus I'm sorta drunk right now, but woohoo! That never stopped anyone. But you might wanna keep it in mind.

Anyway, I think you can pretty easily fold to the turn checkraise. You've represented a pretty strong hand on the flop, and your opponent says he can beat it (or doesn't believe you); I don't think he's fooling around here often enough to make a call worthwhile. It's not that big a pot. Blah.

ahh, drunken master poker. liquor makes me strong.

cheers,

mn

ZootMurph
04-07-2004, 09:10 AM
The problem I have here is that this fella check-raised you, showing some sense. You were the preflop raiser, so he KNEW he'd get an extra bet out of you. If he'd bet out and 3 bet, I'd agree with you that he is trying to chase you out or he has a 9. However, the check-raise tells me he really does have a Queen. I'd have called the check-raise, then checked the turn and made a crying call on the river, just on the off-chance he was bluffing through. Also, I'd definitely note this guy likes to play crap in raised pots and plays REALLY tricky (two check raises in a row) when he has something.

sublime
04-07-2004, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem I have here is that this fella check-raised you, showing some sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. This turn bet was hero's mistake, I would call this move by villian smart if it had been a "dangerous" card(A/K) on the turn

ZootMurph
04-07-2004, 02:07 PM
I agree that, on the turn, our Hero made a mistake by betting, especially after being check/raised on the flop.

But, my point was that, with a big pair showing on the flop, and someone throws a check/raise at you, I feel that it is time to play cautiously. I wouldn't throw the hand away at this point, but I wouldn't come over the top of the check/raise, either.

Here's why: You are up against 5 possible hands here: 1) a Queen, 2) Pocket pair or a 9, 3) JT straight draw or Heart flush draw, 4) Ace, 5) Junk that needs a miracle to beat you. I don't put AA in here simply because there was only our Hero's raise and no others. The check/raise takes out the Junk, and possibly the Ace. Everything else will stay.

If there is no one in group 1, you have group 3 with 6 outs, group 4 with 3 outs, and group 2 with 2 outs. Of course, in this case it would be correct to reraise to punish them for trying to draw out on you.

However, you have to consider which group would do a check-raise on you (the preflop raiser). Well, group 1 definitely. You raised preflop, so they must realize you will bet if they check. Group 2 would not, since that same group didn't raise on the flop, and they have to be worried about you having a bigger pair, especially when you are betting out. Group 3 wants to see the turn and river as cheaply as possible, and have to be concerned about drawing dead to a boat, as well as having half their outs being dirty (KQ). Group 4 might have wanted a free card, and re-raised to get a read or run a free card. Group 5 should be folding. Which is more probable? Depends on your read on the raiser. I would guess he had Queen based on his preflop play and these observations.

So, for me, I'd play it cautiously here. I bet out and got information from a check/raise. That's my read. In microlimit, that's the big 'trick' play for strong hands. Weak hands bet out and reraise in bluff attempts.

Finally, I usually play 10/20 B&amp;M, and just started playing microlimit online (.5/1) about a month ago. It's a huge adjustment from the normal tight/superaggressive game I'm used to. I'd like to play online more frequently instead of making 1 1/2 hour ride every day to play for long hours. In the B&amp;M game, I'd definitely come over the top because it is easier to put someone on a hand. But in .5/1 online, when someone check/raises it's usually bad news for you. I'm still having a hard time adjusting so I may be really wrong here. I've only got 2200 hands experience. Please explain if I am.

BTW, the original post was supposed to say 'showing some strength'... don't know why I typed sense /images/graemlins/smile.gif

siccjay
04-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the reviews. When he checked the turn I was almost certain I was going to get check raised but I didn't wanna give em a free card either because I would have been very very mad if we have drawn out for free. I should have folded but I wanted to see the Queen with my own eyes.

It's funny, when I first got to the table the villian in this hand and another guy were complaining about the table being too loose and that they both liked tight tables better.

Sarge85
04-07-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll explain. I 3bet because a lot of micro limit players will go wild here with any Ace for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even think the worst micro player would CR/Cap the flop here.... He obviously has some part of the flop - and it's unlikely he's doing this with a 3, so I'd give him credit for pocket 3's or a rouge Queen.
[ QUOTE ]

When he capped me I figured he had a Queen.

[/ QUOTE ]

True
[ QUOTE ]

He checked the turn so I think, well I'll find out here if he really has a Queen and I bet hoping that he was being over agressive with a flush draw. But no, he check raised me like he was a poker mastermind or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take the free card. Don't play into his hand...

[quote}
Then I just called him down on the river, knowing I was going to see some Queen with a sissy kicker and I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

A day late and more than a few bets short....

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif