PDA

View Full Version : Champion Easy Fish Sandwich Recipe

dogsballs
04-06-2004, 08:43 PM
I love to catch fish and eat fish. And somehow, fish sandwiches never seem quite perfect when you order them out anywhere, so here's my recipe. Maybe you /images/graemlins/tongue.gif burger freaks can try a change of diet....

Instead of driving into the next burger outlet, go to the store instead when you're hungry and pick up a piece of fresh, firm, white fish, or other fish - anything'll do - whatever you personally like. Also pick up some Progresso Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (comes in a blue container and you can get most places I think) or something similar. Basically it's seasoned breadcrumbs. With thick fillets of fish I slice them horizontally before starting, to get approx 3 quarter inch to one inch thick pieces.

Schwizz up one raw egg with a little bit of minced/crushed garlic and a jolt of chili sauce if you want a wee nip to it. I use just a small amount of that super hot caribbean stuff and half a tsp each of garlic and chili sauce. That's the whole trick to get the top flavour with your nice fish: garlic and chili in a seasoned crumb crust.

Dunk your fish in the egg mix, then the breadcrumbs. Shallow fry in hot oil. Slap inbetween toasted bread (granary type stuff for me) with lettuce and sliced vine tomatoes and some mayonnaise (or mayo w/ wasabi mixed in) if you like.

It's never failed to impress fish sandwich conoisseurs.

If you really can't get fresh fish, well, hard luck and enjoy the burger.

dogs

Ray Zee
04-06-2004, 10:30 PM
now there is a man that knows how to eat. nothing compared to the downer cow burgers from the chains. maybe we need a forum to teach what good food is.

Zeno
04-07-2004, 02:22 AM
I have had excellent grouper sandwiches from Frenchy's restaurant in or near Clearwater, Florida. In addition to fresh boiled shrimp and cherry stone clams. Outstanding meal.

But back to fish - nothing, and I repeat * NOTHING * can beat a simple flour coated pan fried cutthroat trout. Fresh caught of course. Blueback (sea run) are the best. Add a little salt and pepper to the flour and that is it. Cook slowly until the skin is a soft golden brown and a little crispy. Have fresh garden ripe tomatoes, beet greens, and fried potatoes. Wash down with pale Ale. Then for desert, a fresh baked hot apple cobbler topped with ice cream. Sit around the table after eating with friends, talk about fishing, and sip on some single malt scotch. Cigars are optional.

Beat that.

-Zeno

Ulysses
04-07-2004, 03:10 AM
That sounds awesome. I'm a big fan of salmon (and it's great here), but I don't think that'll be right for this sandwich.

I think I'll have a good choice of the following: Mahi Mahi, Red Snapper, Halibut, and maybe Tilapia. Which would you go with?

Ulysses
04-07-2004, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Beat that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried, but couldn't come up with anything.

dogsballs
04-07-2004, 11:03 PM
I think I'll have a good choice of the following: Mahi Mahi, Red Snapper, Halibut, and maybe Tilapia. Which would you go with?

I don't know tilapia, never eaten it, but it's freshwater and freshwater don't taste as good as marine fish...something about a compound that salt water fish contains that f/w doesn't.

Go halibut, I say. Snapper as 2nd choice.
Mahi's great with butter/lime/pepper/caper type combo, but go halibut for the sandwich, man.

Let me know how it goes down...!

dogs

HDPM
04-08-2004, 12:53 AM
Can't beat it. But I can come close. Catch fresh trout. Preferably small or moderate size ones. Nice native brookies are good. Flour or cornmeal them. Put whatever you have in the camp in them. Salt, pepper, bacon, mustard even. Wrap in aluminum foil. Get a hot campfire going while you drink steadily. When there are glowing red embers toss the fish in there and bury them in the embers. Open a can of beans with an inadequate pocketknife can opener, take the label off, and put it in the fire. Stir with a fresh pine stick. After a while when you are sick of looking at the beans and you have had several beers, take the fish out and eat them without burning yourself too badly. Continue to drink with friends. Apple cobbler is impossible here tho. So your recipe is better I think. I hate that camping crap. I want a nice yuppie lodge or something. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also like brookies, eggs w/ tabasco, fried potatoes, and cold Coors for breakfast after a fishing excursion.