PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question

Gambler101
04-06-2004, 07:19 PM
In Hold 'em, must players use any of their cards?

For Example: If a full house appears on the table and that is the best hand, do players need to use any of their cards?

Thanks

lmcclean
04-06-2004, 08:06 PM
nope, but if your 'playing the board', useing all the cards on the board and none in your hand, the best you can do is a tie. This is obviously due tot he fact that all palyers playing the board have the exact same hand.
This is most often found with a stait flush or quads with an ace on board. It's rare but it happens

Lexander
04-06-2004, 08:22 PM
You never have to play any of your cards.

Interestingly, one of the more difficult situations I see is whether to call and play the board or take your chances your opponent has the one card he needs. For example, if the board is 45678, then you have a problem if your opponent has a 9. If you have a 9 you have a problem if your opponent has 9T. If you happen to have a 45 and the pot has grown, it can be a bit hard to decide.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-07-2004, 07:56 AM
players may play the board in Hold'em. You do not have to use any cards from your hand.

blackaces13
04-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Nope, and remember if the board is an ace high straight and there aren't 3 to a flush on the board, then you have to go all in in NL or continually raise and re-raise with anyone remaining in the hand. This is because the board is the nuts but there is a fair chance that someone doesn't realize it and won't call raises because they "can't beat the board". It's usually worth a shot to split the pot between less players. In any case, there is zero risk in trying this.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-07-2004, 07:58 AM
This is most often found with a stait flush or quads with an ace on board. It's rare but it happens

Actually the most likely scenario is when the board is rainbow broadway. But always bet. I've seen people fold in this situation. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SheridanCat
04-07-2004, 12:47 PM
This happened to me online the other night. We were three handed, the board makes the runner-runner straight. The betting patterns just don't indicate anyone had the high end of the straight. I figured, what the heck, and I bet out. Second player folds and we chop up the folder when we show overcards.

It just doesn't usually make sense to fold.

Regards,

T

Hiding
04-09-2004, 10:00 AM
I agree with bet if the pot is still multiway, but if you are heads up any bet that is called is just paying the rake. So if you suspect your opponent isnt a bonehead why pay the rake?