PDA

View Full Version : AA and 234 flop

05-01-2002, 09:16 PM
LL PP:

Two limpers to me, I raise with AA, two cold callers, BB calls. 6BB in pot.

Flop is 2 3 4 rainbow

Checked to limper #2 (L2) who bets, I raise, one cold caller, L2 calls. 9BB in pot.

Turn board 2 3 4 [3], no flush draw

Checked to me, I bet, cold caller folds, L2 checkraises, I call. 13BB in pot.

Final board 2 3 4 3 [5]

L2 bets, I call.

Anyone play this differently?

KJS

05-01-2002, 09:17 PM
He shows 22 for flopped set and turned full house. I was in 2nd place from the flop on.

KJS

05-01-2002, 11:54 PM
Did you believe you were behind on the turn? To what?

If you can't raise on the river with your straight, then why did you call the turn checkraise?

If you think you're behind and are drawing to 6 good outs (two Aces and four 5's), then you can call the turn checkraise. However, if you think you are drawing to just two good outs (the Aces), you should fold on the turn.

05-02-2002, 12:06 AM
I fold with no regrets to the checkraise on the turn. LL players rarely lie with a checkraise. The only hand you could be against where you have even 6 outs to win (2 aces and 4 5's) is 3x, with x being between a 6 and an ace. Somehow that doesn't seen too likely (although at some LL games....) I think 42 is also doubtful, especially if the player has any idea how to play and realizes that his hand is only as good as his pair of fours when the board pairs the three. With only two servicable outs, this is an easy fold.

05-02-2002, 03:15 PM
On my last trip to Atlantic City, I lost a hand in similar fashion - I had AA, a 22 capped it against me (?!) and proceeded to flop 244. I paid off all the way, because I thought he'd have to be insane to cap with 22 or 4x.

So my question is, shouldn't we and I be happy with these players who think 22 is worth calling two bets (or even raising)? Don't we want that kind of player in the game? Or is 22 stronger than I am giving it credit for (at least in LL games)?

05-02-2002, 03:40 PM
I probably would have played it exactly as you did. I know that others have stated that if "you thought this then you should have done this," etc. But I don't calling your opponent down was a huge blunder. It's often difficult to think clearly during the heat of battle, so what's wrong with just calling? There was certainly enough money in the pot to justify a call at the river (even if the 5 didn't come on the river)and you had a pretty good hand yourself.

Better luck next time!

05-02-2002, 04:52 PM
Dynasty,

I thought I was drawing to six good outs but I also (I think correctly) thought my opponent put me on at least one Ace when I called. So, going into the river I felt that if I hit a 5 or A I would bet after he checked and he would make a crying call. But he didn't check. To me that meant my read of him was incorrect--I now felt that he bet knowing he could beat my straight and hoping that I would still jack it up so he could 3 bet. I only called because the pot was big and I thought maybe there was a small chance he had A3. When he showed I was not surprised. Make sense?

Of course, my assumption that I had 6 good outs (which was maybe wishful thinking at the time) meant my hand must have been good on the turn, unless my opponent had exactly 3x, where x is not an A. Not very likely for an early limper.

Chalk it up to a heat of the battle hand-reading error. If I would have thought about it more, it would have been a re-raise or fold situation on the turn. Of course, given his hand it could have easily been a re-raise, bet the river and get checkraised situtation too, depending on how good his read of me was.

Would you be able to fold AA on a 2 3 4 3 board if checkraised and then re-raised on the turn? It would be a tough laydown.

Thanks for the comments.

KJS

05-02-2002, 08:33 PM
We most certainly want them in our game, even though it sucks to lose like that. In KJS's case, the 22 only called his raise, which gives more credibility of him having hit with the checkraise. It is tough when a player caps with something like that, but you gotta start wondering why they keep betting into you. I would probably bet/raise or reraise the flop in your case and check call to the river if he kept showing agression (I still would think over agression with KK or QQ in most LL games. Don't take this as advice from an expert though /images/smile.gif ). It's much more likely in this case that the flop will come T 4 Q or some such and you will win the pot. Isolated incidents like that can piss you off, but just think "thank goodness I have a player like that in my game." (And read about playing against a maniac in HPFAP) Hope this helps!