PDA

View Full Version : Stacksize and tells ????

Thomsen
04-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Today i played a pot with a guy who had a big stack (that means a stack of 650 usd on a party 3/6 table where i normally bring the default stack of 150).

I didnt really know him much but i found myself respecting his raises more than raises from other players that i dont know. Is this lame ? Could it be used perhaps in a way so if I want to build a wild image i bring a small stack of 50 usd to 3/6 or if I want to be considered solid i bring 450 ??

Anyone willing to share thoughts and ideas on this ? Thanks

Saborion
04-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Some people become a bit intimidated by big stacks. You for instance. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I notice someone with a big stack on my table, I usually just keep an extra eye on his play to find out if he's "worth" the stack or not.

Personally, when losing down to say $75 on a $2/4 (where the auto buy in is $100), I tend to buy in another $50 or $100, for the same reason mentioned above. On the other hand, some people will react in the opposite way. I personally prefer to stay above the min. buy in though.

afk
04-06-2004, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I notice someone with a big stack on my table, I usually just keep an extra eye on his play to find out if he's "worth" the stack or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, though I can't really explain why. I only play .05/.10 and I had a guy at the table the other day who bought in for $100. For the first bit I was wondering whether he meant to play .5/1 or 5/10 or something. No one that I've noticed with a large stack size yet has been a threat (that I saw, anyways). It's got to be an intimidation thing.

juanez
04-06-2004, 10:40 PM
There was a post about this a while back....while the size of a players stack doesn't really mean much, it seems that some folks are a bit intimidated when you have a big one. After reading the original thread, I never buy in to 1/2 Party with less than $100 - I immediately noticed a slight difference in players giving more "respect" to my raises, etc. Part of your table image I guess... especially if you're playing well.

Daggs911
04-06-2004, 10:45 PM
The only reason to give a poker player respect is based on his or her ability. In a limit game, bankroll has nothing to do with it. I cannot count the big stacks I have seen play terribly.

That said, the only tell I use online IS bankroll related. When players get low on chips, less than 4-5 BB, I find that they often become absurdly loose and aggressive, trying to just "get it all in" for what they have left. I will frequently try to isolate these players whenever I have a reasonable holding.

Best of luck, Matt

Spyder
04-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Stacksize is only part of the story :-)

I've seen it mentioned in three different books that you want to sit to the left of the money...this way you can see what 'the money' does before you have to do anything...and then can make a more educated read on the player in question.

Also, in Super System, Doyle Brunson (in speaking about No limit Hold'em) says that he brings huge stacks to the table to achieve the exact same affect you exhibited.

Spyder

NLSoldier
04-07-2004, 12:41 AM
I think a more important stacksize related tell pertains to the really small stacks. Many players will bet/raise every street with the intention of going all-in, once their stack reaches a size of less than 4BB or so. I have called down many players in this situation and it has been pretty profitable. They very rarely have a legit hand and quite often have something like Q high.

joker122
04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Alot of the times it means they've come in with thier entire bankroll. For me, this lessens thier image as a solid player because they know nothing about bankroll requirements (they have no business playing 3/6 with a $600 bankroll) which implies they aren't very well studied in the game.

tech
04-07-2004, 09:12 AM
In no-limit, a big stack is critical for the reasons Brunson mentions. In low-limit, I always bring a short-stack. I don't want people to respect my raises in low-limit because you usually can't bluff anyway. Being the short-stack, people tend to come after me, which is exactly what I want.

Also, I agree with the other poster who said that a lot of big stacks are really loose. They will almost always call for an extra bet or raise. I try to go after them when possible unless they show themselves to be a strong player.

LetsRock
04-07-2004, 09:28 AM
It's not the size of your stack that matters, but how you use it.

I see plenty of this. I think that most of these overstackers just drag their whole BR around with them. If I don't know the player, I will tend to keep an eye on them to see if they just bought in for a bunch, or have earned it.

Right or not, if 2 players sit down, one with a mini-stack and one with an overstack, I'm going to expect the overstack to be a little better than the mini-stack until further proof is delivered. I pretty much base my actions on their play, but I have to admit that I am slightly prejudiced on first impression.

Nottom
04-07-2004, 11:09 AM
FWIW, I've been buying in for $300 at 3/6 for the past few weeks. Basically its becasue I'm lazy and don't like having to rebuy, but it sure seems like I get some undeserved respect at times as well.

Slacker13
04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
I read in one book on Internet Poker that said you should bring a much higher amount to the internet table for that very reason, to intimidate.

Solitare
04-07-2004, 03:31 PM
A reliable stack size tell for me has been when someone joins a table and posts a stack that is smaller than the standard buy-in. For instance, joining a $2/$4 table at Party with only $50 instead of $100. My experience is that these people tend to be fish. A couple of rationales:

- They don't understand the natual vairiance of a $2/$4 table and that $50 is not enough to cover that variance.
- They think too much in terms of money than chips. Bringing $50 to a table doesn't hurt as much as bringing $100.

Gandor
04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
I think value can be found in both. Usually I play the SNGs, but when I occasionally play a table, sometimes I buy in for default, but more often then not, I buy in pretty small. Here are my reasons:
1. Less to loose when I don't know the table.
2. If I'm on one of those days where I just can't win a hand, I don't want a lot in play.
3. I don't keep much in my poker account. Since I can deposit immediately for free, what's the incentive to keep a huge roll?
On the flip side:
1. If I'm not getting rivered every time I turn around, and hitting some cards, then the pot size will take care of itself.
2. I can always increase my chip position if the table is juicy.