PDA

View Full Version : OK, What Security Do We Need

dogsballs
04-06-2004, 05:47 PM
SOOoo, I'm just about to get hooked back online and start playing again.

What do I need to do to secure my laptop with cable for online poker. I know about Adaware and the other similar freeware one that I've currently forgotten the name of. I know very little of such things - except that I should make my system secure.

Might as well start a thread about current security issues and solutions for online poker?

Whaddya say, geeks..? (said in a light hearted manner, of course...though many of you are geeks /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

dogs

neotope
04-06-2004, 06:06 PM
If you are talking about getting a firewall or something to that extent I would look at get Norton Internet Security. I believe you can get a package deal that has Norton Antivirus and Norton Firewall (whatever they calll it). You really need good virus protection and a licensed copy of NAV will be about the best you can get. The firewall they have is good for home use.

goodguy_1
04-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Norton Internet Security Suite is the nuts.I have the Pro version because the regular version only supports one system.If you have multiple pc's,laptops get the Norton Internet Security Professional Suite.
It includes Norton Internet Security for Security,Personal Firewall and Intrusion Detection.Norton AntiVirus and WebTools like PrivacyControl,Ad-Blocking,Norton AntiSpam and Productivity Control(which I don't use).

It's the best for me bar-none.I've tried many different setups over last 5 years.Its great because it's very simple to use and it doesnt break down or corrupt the integrity of your system like other programs I've used over the years.

Symantec is a great company..there updates and products are rigorously tested unlike past experience I've had with other leading companies like McAfee etc.

the reaon the product is so great is that all its functions are smoothly integreted into one user-friendly console.The updates ie virus and spam updates always seem to work smoothly for me except for the occasional reboot after a major upfdate to make sure Anti-spam or add-blocking work....This software is bulletproof.

You must have automatic anti-virus and anti-spam screening to use email or surf the Net-without you are risking catastrophe.

Norton Internet Security 2004 (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/)

Pro Version-multiple licenses (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pr/index.htm)

Aloha

dogsballs
04-06-2004, 07:48 PM
hey gg. How's it going? You crashed the new truck yet..?

$70 for Norton seems fine - I guess it's peace of mind over the freeware combinations. I always found Adaware able to dig up some stuff that Norton didn't; mainly just cookies tho'. We had rock solid security at my previous place, so I never worried (I played behind my works firewalls), but it's gonna be a home setup from now so i wanna make sure.

What's Productivity Control?

Simon Diamond
04-06-2004, 07:52 PM
$70 for Norton seems fine

A computer without proper virus protection is a risk not worth taking. $70 will be money very well spent, Norton does the trick.

Simon

neotope
04-06-2004, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$70 for Norton seems fine - I guess it's peace of mind over the freeware combinations. I always found Adaware able to dig up some stuff that Norton didn't; mainly just cookies tho'. We had rock solid security at my previous place, so I never worried (I played behind my works firewalls), but it's gonna be a home setup from now so i wanna make sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Norton Anti-virus is an anti-virus program, it was created to detect viruses. Ad-Aware is a spyware removal utility, it was created to detect spyware. Obviously because of this Ad-Aware will find stuff that Norton A-V does not and the reverse will also be true. If I had to pick one utility to have I would pick Norton A-V.

I actually I only have Norton A-V one my computer and no spyware removal tools. I used to use Ad-Aware and Spybot but they never detected anything so it was pointless to keep them installed. As long as you don't install random stuff from emails and on the web you will not need Ad-Aware. Where as Norton A-V detects worms and other viruses that you can get without really doing anything.

AleoMagus
04-06-2004, 08:15 PM
I am really no expert but I hear that a router is a good security idea.

Another nice thing about a router is that you can get a wireless PC card and walk all over the place with your laptop. Play while tanning in the back yard.

Regards
Brad S

goodguy_1
04-06-2004, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Productivity Control gives you the option of blocking access to inappropriate content ie babysitting.You can block websites,programs etc.Since I'm a degenerate single guy I have no use for it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

astroglide
04-06-2004, 08:51 PM
unsecured wireless networks are, erm, unsecured

AleoMagus
04-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Again, I am no expert...

But I think that worries about threats over the net and people hacking into your wireless signal are two different concerns altogether.

Do you know of people who have had their wireless signal hacked in some way?

Regards
Brad S

Edit- EEEk. Looking into this online right now. Some scary stuff. Is it possible my local radio shack salesman misled me in my purchase of a wireless router. As far as I can see so far, router still very good idea - wireless potentially a big problem.

JAque
04-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Hi:

You need the following for a wireless connection:

1) First, understand the protocol used today (802.11b or g) is not very secure even with encrytion. However, this the only thing available right now.

2) Get a wireless router 802.11g gives you 54Mb (be sure the card in your laptop support this as well). Use 128 bit encryption as described in the router manual. Preferable, use a non wireless connection to the router.

3) Use a firewall/virus software Norton security 2004 is a great choice.

4) Install Ad-Aware -free

5) Install Spybot -free

6) Install spyware blaster -free

7) Install spyguard -free

8) Check your security risk of your settings by going to http://grc.com/intro.htm and run all the free tests for open ports etc.

9) Keep your windows OS up to date. Internet explorer/tools/windows update. (or set it for automatic update).

10) Light a candle everyday and hope that Kevin Mitnick or similar pesron does not think your laptop is their play toy ( KM is a famous hacker).

godd luck

JAque

Hiding
04-06-2004, 10:37 PM
I use AVG for antivirus and have found trojans nortons missed, and its free for single users. I also use zone alarm firewall, combined with my router hardware firewall, seems to work fine. All for free

JAque
04-07-2004, 12:01 AM
I don't know about the free virus checker but Zone Alarm is a good choice. However, Norton security does more than Virus/firewall functions (SPAM protection, blocks pop ups, etc).

JAque

astroglide
04-07-2004, 01:27 AM
wpa (part of all decent 802.11g routers) is good. wep is crap.