PDA

View Full Version : Not compulsive. Hah!

Boris
04-06-2004, 05:34 PM
I've given in depth explanations of the poker world and why I like to play poker to two acquaintences in the past week.

Both of them were intrigued by the whole idea of poker and texas hold'em. Both of them were also glad that I wasn't compulsive. I laughed my ass off both times they made the comment.

Is there such a thing as a gambler that is not compulsive?

M2d
04-06-2004, 06:22 PM
the reason I haven't been playing for the past few months is because I made a goal of catching 100 stripers from the bay and surf this year. I've gotten three so far. I wake up early on weekends, fish three or four weekdays before work, after work, and during lunch, every saturday and sunday mornings before my wife wakes up. I go out during tides that I know won't produce because I want to see things like tidal flow and ground structure in my spots. I fish in howling winds on the off chance that the stripers plus the wind have pushed the bait up against the shoreline and a feeding frenzy is about to start. I drive from San Mateo to Crockett, Berkeley, San Quentin, and all points in between just to check out the rumor of fish. all in the name of a goal (I release most of my fish and will probably keep two or three out of the hundred I'm determined to catch).

Yeah, I'd say I can be compulsive, but that's just me.

SevenStuda
04-06-2004, 06:36 PM
I do belive that you can play poker as a hobby and not to the point of cumpulsion.

scotnt73
04-06-2004, 06:38 PM
i change hobbies like i change underwear. when i want something ive got to have it right then. for some reason ive stuck with poker for over a year now and i still love it.

daryn
04-06-2004, 07:08 PM
hopefully you haven't stuck with the same underwear for the past year, for some reason.

Ed I
04-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Now this is something I can relate to. I've had streches that number over a hundred where I have not missed a day. I don't consider it compulsive but vital to mental health. This is why I'm probably a bit tight at present. One or two days a week don't cut it. I hope you achieve your worthy goal.

M2d
04-06-2004, 08:03 PM
thing is...the goal isn't really to catch 100 stripers this year. it's to put myself on the water enough to catch 100 stripers. If I can do that, I'll know that I spent (close to) enough time fishing. If I don't make it, I'll know that I didn't spend enough time on the water. slight difference, but an important one.
BTW, if you (or any other ffer) is in town in late summer to fall, I've got a great spot where a forty (or less) foot cast will put you right in the mix of things. a six wt would work well there, but I go to an 8 or a ten because of the possible winds. Also, it's a low-lying jetty, so there's no back cast problems or obsticles.

Ulysses
04-06-2004, 08:09 PM
One thing that's pretty sweet nowadays is that you can just go to the grocery store or market and they have the fish already caught for you - and cleaned, filleted, etc. You can even order this stuff online and they'll deliver it to you. Even better, you can go to restaurants and they will cook it for you as well. Pretty sweet. You'll be able to do a lot more drinking and poker playing with all the time you save not having to go fishing.

dogsballs
04-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Look for my fish sandwich recipe/

Going up in a mo. Dunno how 'stripers' are to eat tho'.

Ed I
04-06-2004, 08:32 PM
"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains." Thoreau

Ed I
04-06-2004, 08:37 PM
I've been practicing catch and release for near 3 decades. You think I might be crazy?

Clarkmeister
04-06-2004, 08:52 PM
I applaud any many who has a goal of catching 100 strippers.

scalf
04-06-2004, 11:15 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif uly: clearly one of the best contributions to a thread in 2 + 2 history..

gl /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif