PDA

View Full Version : 9 handed vs. 10 handed. -- thoughts?

05-01-2002, 03:12 PM
I'm now playing 9 handed vs. 10 and was hoping to get some tips.

I think I should take out my position 9 hands from 10 handed table. And, I'm more selective in calling early raises from the blinds (I think I should do this on 10 handed as well).

However, I find myself in late middle position with cards like T9 suited and not being sure of what to do. Checked around to me. Should I be raising with these hands, calling or just folding. I've been folding as I generally like a few players limping with these suited connectors.

Does your suggestion change if I'm on the button?

On one session I've won 80% of the pots I showdown, and about 35% of the pots where I voluntarily put money into the pot. I've seen only 3 out of 75 hands that were non blinds. And I've seen 15% of the flops. Is this too tight?

Looking over my hand histories, I missed two opportunities to win pots, but I think these were marginal. One was with A9 suited in UTG -- it was an easy fold. The other was with K9s in LP - folded to me, I folded. Anyone play these hands, in these positions? In both instances I thought I wasn't getting the right number of callers pre-flop to make these hands pay off.

I know one session does not make a trend. But, I'd like some clues, and your help is appreciated.

05-01-2002, 03:32 PM
Just curious as to how you keep such good tabs on your play at live tables (I'm assuming your talking about playing live)?

Do you have a piece of paper that you are scribbling on the entire time or what?

Personally, I've never seen anyone doing that - but if it works (and it's not taboo for whatever reason) then I'm for it! :-)

05-01-2002, 03:58 PM
Yup, wish I could keep track of "live" tables like that! Althought I can count cards on blackjack, it's only a simple count and everything goes out of whack when the babe with the drink comes! Somehow it always gets reset to +2.

So, there ain't now way I could do this live.

05-01-2002, 05:06 PM
I don't quite understand what you mean by 9 handed vs 10 handed? Works pretty much the same.

You should be raising K9s yourself if it's folded to you in cut-off or button position (cut-off is marginal, button is not). I am not so sure you are worse off raising this hand and perhaps getting heads-up or three-way action with the blinds and sitting in best position as opposed to thinking "In both instances I thought I wasn't getting the right number of callers pre-flop to make these hands pay off."

A9s UTG is actually playable in many loose/passive LL games.

Lars

05-02-2002, 12:07 AM
When you're playing at a 9-handed table, just pretend you're at a 10-handed table where UTG has folded.

05-02-2002, 12:59 PM
I think your basic approach is good. 15% is a reasonable percentage. It's sounds like your having success with it, although you may not be playing enough hands in late position. K9s is very playable LP, for example.

If you're going to play more hands, playing more hands from late position is a judicious approach. I would wait until later when you feel more confident to add hands when you are MP and EP. www.posev.com (http://www.posev.com) has a chart which might be useful, in addition to S&M's recommendations for late position play.