PDA

View Full Version : QJo on the button, what's your play on the flop?

Shargaas
04-06-2004, 01:49 PM
PStars 0.05/0.10, the table was very loose and with fits of aggression here and there (some justified, somne not). My main opponent (in SB) here saw a lot of flops but didn't seem overly aggressive.

I am on the button with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
4 limpers to me, I call, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB comes out betting, and to my surprise everyone folds to me. What's your play here?

StellarWind
04-06-2004, 01:56 PM
I'll call him down. My chance of winning this hand is good enough to want a showdown.

I won't raise. That would cost me money against a deuce. Against a worse hand I'll just let him do the betting. No need to frighten him away. I won't give any free cards though. If he checks I'll start betting.

cold_cash
04-06-2004, 02:01 PM
If he's usually passive but is now aggressive, I would say fold unless you think he would bet a worse hand than yours.

If you can't peg him well enough to fold I would call it down. (Unless you catch a Queen.)

beerbandit
04-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Well if he is not overly aggresive; the player betting out into six players should give you some sort of signal. Yes it is possible that the small would limp in with some sort of deuce. You could raise here but it it difficult to put on the deuce. So it may be obvious that you have a queen and he might try for a C/R on the turn. If you do have QQ why would you raise heads up with a monster but not raise preflop with the queens. The pot is fairly large and I think a call here would be OK to see what happens on the turn.

If unimproved on the turn fold to a bet--if not check
If unimproved on the river and you still have top pair call a bet

Shargaas
04-06-2004, 06:07 PM
I considered raising the flop to see what he would do, but I called. A deuce is a definite possibility but I was thinking maybe a Q and hopefully worse kicker. A lot of the players at these tables slowplay trips out of early positions.

SB bet out the turn and river when 2 bricks hit. I called him down. Alas, my great reading skills failed and he showed K2 to take it down. I couldn't see folding the flop even if SB was somewhat passive, but is that a mistake to think that way. Should I have strongly considered folding? Or should I have raised the flop? A re-raise from SB still wouldn't guarantee a 2, but maybe folding to a re-raise in that instance is still the way to go?