PDA

View Full Version : But I've got aces...

MRBAA
04-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Playing in a moronically loose 3-6 game at Lucky Chances just outside SF. They take $4 before the flop in this game, so I'd be playing 6-12, which has the same drop, except that my sister is there playing for the first time. Anyway, the players are coming with any two in this game. I'm stuck about a rack of white (in addition to the blinds, the dealer has to post a live $3 in this game, so just sitting at the table gets expensive fast). I get aces and raise preflop. On the turn, I bet, all fold to a very loose crazy lady who raises, saying "I can't wait to show you this one". The board is 3-5-8-J rainbow, so I'm pretty sure she just made two pair. And it could be ANY two. I call her raise and a 7 hits on the river. I check, she bets, I call and she has 8-5(o) for two pair. The pot was $68 when I called the river -- 11-1 -- but I knew I was beat. Anyone fold this against someone you've not played with before?

bdk3clash
04-06-2004, 12:14 PM
In the heat of the moment, I know exactly what I would have done: call the turn raise and check-call the river. But, the question is, would that have been right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thinking about it now, if she has two pair, you have 8 outs. Unfortunately, you have no idea which outs counterfeit her hand and which ones give her a boat.

Nevertheless, getting 7:1 to call (once she raises the turn) with 8 outs, calling has to be right.

If you hit two pair on the river, check-call. If you hit a set on the river, check-raise. If you miss on the river, I would check-crying call getting 11:1. I'd like to think I win 9% of the time here, but I'm not sure. I guess this is personal. I just can't bring myself to fold here. DISCLAIMER: This might be a leak, but I doubt it's a significant one.

MRBAA
04-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Yes, turn call is a given. It's calling the river when I don't improve that's my question, given her remark and the fact I can't think what she'd have that I can beat.

T5off
04-06-2004, 01:28 PM
I think you do have an idea which card pairing on the river would give her a boat, namely the turn card. I think the lady would not be able to temper her enthusiasm on the flop, had she flopped two pair. Hence, the turn card must have paired her other card. The poster didn't say which was the turn card, but my guess is, it was the 8 or the 5.

And yes, fold the river

squiffy
04-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Hard as hell. But based on your read, you have to let them go.

bdk3clash
04-06-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, turn call is a given. It's calling the river when I don't improve that's my question, given her remark and the fact I can't think what she'd have that I can beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I try this on you the next time we play together, will you fold? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, I have to resort to the crying call here. I really think someone gets frisky here one out of 11 times or so. Maybe she meant, "I can't wait to show you my bottom pair when you fold." You seem good at (and seem to enjoy) the coffeehousing/psychological stuff--maybe you could have gotten more information out of her. I know I couldn't have.

I always manage to delude myself into thinking there's a chance they're BSing. I could probably convince myself she's shrewd enough to be throwing off a reverse tell. Yeah, that's the ticket.