PDA

View Full Version : HEFAP....Strategic concepts....The semi-bluff

sublime
04-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Just started reading this chapter, is the semi-bluff a technique that is usefull in micro-limit games?

I imagine not, but there will be occasions where it is usefull.

Any thoughts?

CountDuckula
04-06-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just started reading this chapter, is the semi-bluff a technique that is usefull in micro-limit games?

I imagine not, but there will be occasions where it is usefull.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a rule, no. Remember, the EV of a semi-bluff comes from the combination of the chance that the other player/s will fold and the chance of your hitting your draw. If either of those factors is missing, the total EV goes down. If you know that the other player/s won't fold, then you have to make your decision based solely on your outs and whether the pot is laying sufficient odds for you to go ahead. And in micro limits, most of the players won't fold unless they're sure you have the nuts, and often not even then. Many of them bluff a lot themselves, and assume that everyone else is trying to bluff them off the pot, and they'll often call you down just to "keep you honest".

-Mike

StellarWind
04-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Semibluffing is an important part of my game and makes me piles of money.

The biggest lie on this forum is "micro players never fold". It's true they don't fold nearly enough, but they still fold plenty of the time.

Just remember that you cannot semibluff as much as you would in a tougher game. All other things being equal, you need more outs, a scarier board, and fewer opponents to semibluff in a micro game. But it still comes up all the time and works a lot.

afk
04-06-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Semibluffing is an important part of my game and makes me piles of money.

The biggest lie on this forum is "micro players never fold". It's true they don't fold nearly enough, but they still fold plenty of the time.

Just remember that you cannot semibluff as much as you would in a tougher game. All other things being equal, you need more outs, a scarier board, and fewer opponents to semibluff in a micro game. But it still comes up all the time and works a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Even at my home of .05/.10 on PS, I've pulled off some very successful semi-bluffs. I think in microlimits it really comes down to table selection. If I get a whack of weak-tight players at my table (which is somewhat common at PS, not sure about Party though) I'll be more inclined to semi-bluff if I'm not up against too many and I think it has a good chance of working. Even if they call me down I might get a free card out of it, say, if I miss on the turn.

blackaces13
04-06-2004, 04:13 PM
In most micro games you'll be betting and raising draws for value not as a semi bluff. IMO the semi-bluff is foolish on party .5/1.

sublime
04-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Kinda what I figured. I have donet in the past without even totally realizng what I was doing, and it has caused a few folds.

B Dids
04-06-2004, 04:20 PM
That's what I was thinking. It's not often a bluff, it's a value bet. If people fold before my draw can hit or miss- that's just fantastic.

afs
04-06-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Even if they call me down I might get a free card out of it, say, if I miss on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is key. In loose low limit games, gaining a free card on more expensive streets is the biggest advantage of a semi-bluff. With one or maybe two other players in, you _may_ induce a fold, but for the most part this probably just means you were _way_ ahead, whether it looks like a bluff to you or not. On party .5/1, semi-bluffing is frequently profitable if

1. You have position
2. All players are either decent&non-tricky or passive
3. You're either heads up or have enough opponents to make it _nearly_ a value bet

All of these conditions have to be met or a semi bluff is nearly always wrong, least from what I've seen.