PDA

View Full Version : If you are not sold, you must not fold.

MaxPower
04-06-2004, 11:06 AM
I don't think I read this in any book, but sometimes my opponents actions just don't make any sense to me. When this happens, I usually don't give them credit for what they are representing. I use this even if I cannot put them on any particular hands.

In this hand UTG and UTG+1 are both loose-aggressive. They see a lot of flops and tend to raise good hands pre-flop. UTG+1 is standard loose and UTG is ultra "I want to see every flop" loose.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: MaxPower is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MaxPower calls.

I thought for a long time before calling. I couldn't put him on a specific hand, but I just didn't buy that UTG had me beat.

Turn: (7.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, UTG calls.

I still didn't buy it, and I most likely have 6 outs.

River: (11.16 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, MaxPower checks.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.16 BB, between MaxPower and UTG.</font>

Keats13
04-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Looks like UTG got something he liked on the flop. Maybe he has A4.

But LAGs often try to make moves in large pots like this with next to nothing (I guess that's what makes them LAGs).

I think the check-behind on the river is fine, as a LAG isn't going to lay down a weak A here, and I wouldn't want to call or fold to a check-raise.

sublime
04-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Wouldnt calling down here be a better strategy?

MaxPower
04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldnt calling down here be a better strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... I don't think so. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Doesn't anyone else want to criticize me? C'mon let me have it.

sublime
04-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Maybe I am wrong, I just dont think I would have handled it the same way. Fortunatly the Q fell and you had ISD potentiol, but before that you were drawing to 3 outs (J J runner) Assuming UTG limped with Ax.

Also remember you were sitting at this table and I was not, and you have the benefit of having the results in front of you.

UTG being aggressive with 2nd pair?

AviD
04-06-2004, 04:33 PM
The turn raise offers the advantage of MaxPower taking down the pot right there if UTG folds, and at the same time offers a free showdown if checked to for the same "investment" of calling both streets, or better yet gaining more bets on the river if he draws his J outs (EDIT: or his K outs).

Very good reason to raise the turn.
UTG could also be semi-bluffing with a T and CRed the flop to improve his/her own chances of winning by getting MaxPower to fold. But when raised on the turn UTG will likely fold that same T or under pressure go into check/call mode with a lone A thinking they are behind to a stronger holding...all good things for MaxPower.

That's my .02

Well played I think Max.

sublime
04-06-2004, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The turn raise offers the advantage of MaxPower taking down the pot right there if UTG folds, and at the same time offers a free showdown if checked to for the same "investment" of calling both streets, or better yet gaining more bets on the river if he draws his J outs (EDIT: or his K outs).

Very good reason to raise the turn.
UTG could also be semi-bluffing with a T and CRed the flop to improve his/her own chances of winning by getting MaxPower to fold. But when raised on the turn UTG will likely fold that same T or under pressure go into check/call mode with a lone A thinking they are behind to a stronger holding...all good things for MaxPower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am glad I pointed out my thoughts, as I would have kept on being passive to aggression.

Thanks guys /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I learn something new every day on here....