PDA

View Full Version : how could I have seen this coming?

04-30-2002, 03:25 PM
I was sitting at a pretty live 4-8 hold'em table a coupla weeks ago, when the following hand happened.

I've had some bad beats over the years, along with some sweet wins, but this one's really bugging me. I've replayed it in my mind countless times, and other than checking on the river, I can't see how I would have played this differently. Any suggestions?

I'm on the button, and am dealt AsAc. Seat 3 opens, 4 and 7 call, 9 calls, I raise. SB folds, BB, along with 4, 7 and 9 call.

So, with 5 way action, the flop comes 4c6c7c. BB opens, 4,7,9 call. Four to the flush, with high pair, I raise. BB, 4 and 9 call.

Four players see the turn card come up 9c.

BB opens, 4 calls, 7+9 fold, I raise. BB reraises, 4 calls. Holding the nut flush, I raise, and am reraised by BB. 4 calls, I call.

River card comes 8d. Garbage. BB opens, 4 calls, I raise. BB folds, slamming Kc X on the table, 4 reraises. I call.

Now, as 4 reraised, I figured the straight flush was there, and sure enough, he flips 3c5c. STARIGHT FLUSH ON THE FLOP!?!?!

I'd pay a million bucks to have a snapshot of the look on my face at that exact moment!

But seriously, can anyone tell me how I should have seen that coming?

04-30-2002, 03:35 PM
no real defense against that. the str8flush didnt even have to bet his hand...

give yourself some credit for not reraising the river. many in LL wouldve.

its a tough one

i think you actually played it pretty good.

the BB played pretty bad on the turn...whats he thinking 5 betting here? you didnt say if it was a suited K hand, but even so...he has to put you on something when you 4 bet it...

gotta love these guys...

b

04-30-2002, 04:32 PM
I think I'd play it the same. The important part for me now-a-days is to correctly figure out when I'm likely dead. Then I make a concious decision on what to do, which I think is far better than my usual "oh shit" at the river!

When you're re-raised on the turn, were you thinking possible str8 flush? I think as long as the thought was there at that point then it's ok. Because at this point your re-raise is to figure out if they actually have the str8 flush. Then you can feel better about just calling the river, which I think is the only option, as you probably have surmised.

River raise, and you're behind you lose three bets. River raise, and you're ahead knocks out one player for sure and you gain nothing.

04-30-2002, 04:53 PM
When I was reraised on the turn, I correctly put the guy on a king-high flush. The thought of a straight flush didn't occur to me until I was raised on the river. At that point, I wasn't going to lay down, but I certainly wasn't going to reraise to intimidate someone who had enough resolve to stick out a capped bet on the turn.

04-30-2002, 05:08 PM
That is what frustrates me about this game - everyone else does not play like we do! :-)

Seriously, number four should have never seen the flop for even 1 bet, much less 2. You can't help stupid, nor can you help it when people are lucky! He should have folded, you should have one. Tough loss.

Paul

04-30-2002, 05:38 PM
One problem- there are TWO straight flushes out there on the turn! T8s is a little more believable of a risk, again at low limit... while 85s was also possible, not sure if that's crazier than 53s in early position...

You should have slowed down sooner. I think you overplayed the raise/reraise on the turn and river.

04-30-2002, 06:15 PM
It's a tough beat when someone calls your raise with 3c 5c and then flops a straight flush. Even worse is when your pocket aces turn into the nut flush on the turn and you have the Kc calling and raising you the whole way and a straight flush beats you both. Seat four played very passive and let you and the BB bet it for her. When someone calls two bets cold twice on the turn, something fishy is going on. But to sit and think that a straight flush is going to beat you is weak poker. This stuff happens and you just hope that the next time you are on the other side.

04-30-2002, 06:44 PM
"That is what frustrates me about this game - everyone else does not play like we do! :-)"

I hope the :-) means that you realize that fact is what makes the game profitable.

KJS

04-30-2002, 08:22 PM
When the player with the Kc layed down his hand you have to get suspicious. Straight flushes are a lot more common with 4 flush cards on board, so that should have helped you. (Even though he flopped the str8 flush)

Would this player (any?) be that aggressive with the 3rd nut flush and 4 flush cards on the board?

05-01-2002, 09:56 AM
Ok, I'm allways trying to think positive. One saving grace is that this is forever burned into your neurons -- you will never be surprised at the river -- ever! So, it's good to have these happen before you move up in limits.

Someone asked me why I was playing PP .5/1, said "you can't make any money at these tables". I just said "hey the tuition is much cheaper". You've replayed it a few thousand times, thought of all the options, posted, and got more options. I think this was far more valuable than saving two big bets at the end!