PDA

View Full Version : May be going to Vegas alone, May 14-16. Tips? Cheap Hotels?

jedi
04-05-2004, 07:54 PM
My company is sponsoring a trip to Vegas May 14-16. They pay for the bus ride out there and back, and one happy hour. We're on the hook for everything else, including hotel rooms.

I've asked a bunch of friends to go along, but they've all declined, so it looks like I might be going out there alone. Where can I find the best (meaning cheapest) 1-person hotel rooms?

What kind of action will there be during that weekend? I know it's WSOP month, but I have no interest in playing in the tournaments at Binion's that weekend. I just want to try to get in on the poker fever for that month. Do I need to be playing at Binions, or will any poker room suffice for that weekend?

Also, what's the best way to get around the city? I'd like to see the new Star Trek Experience at the Hilton, but that's at one end of the strip, right?

slamdunkpro
04-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Check out The Boardwalk for Cheap Rooms.

StevieG
04-05-2004, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out The Boardwalk for Cheap Rooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I would guess that would be a cheap option. Boardwalk is not the most glamorous spot on the Strip but it is right between Monte Carlo and Bellagio (good for access to a couple card rooms). From what I saw on their Web site, though, they want $240 a night.

Westward Ho wants $81 for those dates, and the Sahara wants $130. The Sahara is an easy ten minute trot to the LV Hilton and the Star Trek shows. Plus, it has a poker room, so you may be able to call about a poker room rate.

M.B.E.
04-05-2004, 10:53 PM
The Monorail should be operational by then, and there is a stop at the Las Vegas Hilton. In fact, one of the trains is a Borg assimilation vehicle:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/gaming/2004/mar/08/516487388.html

jayadd
04-06-2004, 01:09 AM
M.B.E. according to this http://www.lvmonorail.com/
it wont be ready till the summer time. Initially they said march i remember but who knows.

Brain
04-06-2004, 01:11 AM
I stayed at the Sahara a few weeks ago and it's a decent hotel. $130's a little steep though (although that is a weekend, so maybe not). Anyway, their room is pretty small and I didn't like the looks of it. Try the Monte Carlo and ask for their poker rate. Their room seemed a lot nicer when I stopped in.

jedi
04-06-2004, 01:11 AM
How tough will it be to get around if I don't have a car? Are taxi's expensive? How far is Palace Station from the strip, specifically the Flamingo? (And does the Flamingo have a poker room?) I'm not adverse to walking, if it's not too hot in May.

Brain
04-06-2004, 01:17 AM
i don't think the taxis were terribly expensive, but i don't use them that often. i walked everywhere and took a shuttle on tuesday when it was really hot. they take about an hour to get up or down the strip so skip that if you're in a hurry.

palace station is walkable from the north end. check out http://www.cheapovegas.com/vegas_map.php?map=strip for a map.

HDPM
04-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Palace Station is a fair distance from the flamingo. Not walkable. Cabs add up. I'd only stay at the palace station with a car. If you don't have a car and stay off strip, I'd stay (and have stayed) at the gold coast. You can walk across the street to the palms. You can catch their shuttle to the orleans or barbary coast. So you can shuttle over to the strip, cross the street and go to the bellagio. The shuttle stops running at night, but a cab from the strip to the GC wouldn't be bad. Orleans an option too, with nicer rooms and overall hotel. Having the palms right across the street helps if you don't have a car tho.

Jim Kuhn
04-06-2004, 01:31 AM
A few years back I stayed on the strip at the Stardust towers. It was like a motel 6 but was very cheap (like $25 per night). I think you can take the bus up and down the strip for very little $. Hopefully others can critique this information. Good luck and I hope you have a great time!

Cubswin
04-06-2004, 02:14 AM
Try downloading the travelaxe software. Here are some prices i found for those dates.

Golden Spike 87.20 (Orbitz)
Lady Luck 115.54 (Orbitz)
Four Queens 135.18 (Book Vegas)
Westward Ho 148.24 (Placestostay)
Stratosphere 187.00 (hotels.com)
Binions 199.40 (travelworm.com)
Imperial Palace 204.38 (travel switch)
Stardust 207.10 (Orbitz)
Monte Carlo 227.00 (onetravel)

Hope this helps
cubswin

sleepyjoeyt
04-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Imperialpalace.com

crappy hotel, but normally real cheap and in a perfect spot, across the street from Mirage and real close to Bellagio.

good luck.

M.B.E.
04-06-2004, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
M.B.E. according to this http://www.lvmonorail.com/
it wont be ready till the summer time. Initially they said march i remember but who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]
Initially they said January. Then March, then April, now summer.

drewjustdrew
04-06-2004, 11:43 AM
I will be there that weekend, too. Staying downtown at four queens. I have stayed there several times. Decent hotel. Better prices at plaza or lady luck. There is a bus from downtown to the strip for a buck or two. Poker action is great everywhere at that time of year. Rooms can be expensive on weekends because of the good weather. Look at the Orleans. They have decent poker rates and very good rooms. Talk to the poker room manager for discount. It has a free shuttle to barbary coast which is next door to Flamingo. Runs all day.

jedi
04-07-2004, 12:44 PM
I just called the Sahara, and they said the Poker Room rate would be $54/night. Does that sound realistic? They said that I'd have to play 3 hours/day to get this rate. I did tell them when I'd be in town and even though there's a convention in town as well as the WSOP, the rates would stay the same. I don't want to get bait-and-switched there so can someone tell me if this is a good, realistic deal?

ComboProf
04-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Expedia says Circus Circus is $55 per night.
I've have stayed there and its not bad. Ask for
a non smoking room on the second floor near the beauty
shop. You'll have quick acess to the elevator, but no view.
Very QUIET.

It has a poker room rate. There is a coupon deal 2$ in chips
for an hour of play. You can also get a $4 meal coupon
for 2 hours of play. Poker room has a nice 3-6 game with
a single blind, good bad-beat and nice bonus hands.
The poker room is very friendly and for me quite easy, but
a bit smokey.

Its walking distance to Sahara. hilton, Stardust.
There is a buss/trolly that stops near it. It is adjacent
to Westward Ho, where for $2 you get at 2foot 1.5inch thick
hot-dog. So if your cheap it ain't all bad, just avoid
clowns and children /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh, across the street and down the strip a bit is the peppermill restuarant a locals favorite and very good.
You might just see Pen and Teller there!

Good luck.

Homer
04-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Go here (http://www.caesars.com/Reservations/main.aspx?HotelId=04&StepId=1pkg).

For $175, you get...

- Two nights at Hilton
- Two tickets to ride "Star Trek: The Experience"
- Two comped meals to Quark's Bar and Restaurant

I am truly a god among men.

-- Homer

Brain
04-07-2004, 10:50 PM
$1 bottles of Coors Light and Heineken (sp?) at the bar, but the service is sooooooo slow.