PDA

View Full Version : 9/10s SB Questions

Ponks
04-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi all,

First time poster, been reading for some time now. This table is pretty crazy, a few people see just about everyflop including the button that I was up against, lots of raises with nothing and very weak hands. Hopefully I used this converter right. Anyways me and a friend disagreed how I played this hand, and I'm looking for some more feedback as I'm not sure really. If anymore info is needed, lemme know. Once he capped the river I was pretty worried he might have a full house but nothing I could do then.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 21.50 BB, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (21.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Button shows 2c 4d (three of a kind, twos).
Hero shows 9h Th (flush, ten high).
Outcome: Hero wins 21.50 BB. </font>

Thanks,
Ponks

sthief09
04-05-2004, 02:53 PM
for the future, you should usually erase the results and post them later. you get more unbiased opinions that wya. I fought the urge to read the results, so this is my far-from-expert take...

I don't like smooth calling the flop and then betting the turn. the stop and go has its uses occasionally, but I don't think this is one of those occasions.

I know you picked up a flush draw, and that is definitely an improvement here. but I don't think there's value in betting. if you think you can muscle your opponent out, then check-raise the turn. force everyone between you and the button out and hope you can get him to lay his hand down. I don't think this is realistic at Party 2/4

given your description of the table, I'd 3-bet the flop. if you get capped then you should probably check-call the turn and river.

I think there's very little value in betting the turn. your opponent wasn't raising a draw for a free card, so he'll bet if you check into him. he's shown strength, so all you do by betting and getting raised is hurting your own odds.

as far as the river goes, he has raised you on the two previous streets, and the board is paired. it's hard not to 3-bet the river, but for all you know, he could have 99. I think you're better off check-raising him on the river. he is highly likely to bet, having raised the 2 previous streets, and won't put you on a flush because it came backdoor. check-raising wins you 2 bets if he's weak, and doesn't get you capped if he has a boat. check-raising is the superior play here.

now I get to look at the results /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ponks
04-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. My friend said dont lead the turn too, but I guess I was thinking my 10 out might still be good, but obviously it wasn't, and I guess even if it was I only had about a 30% chance to hit a 9 10 or heart, so that was a bad bet. I was pretty sure the other guy would call though, he likes to call a lot.

Also a question about cold-calling. Is it still cold-calling if you were the person to lead? I just called his raise to my bet.

Thanks, Ponks

Oh yah, and I'll do the results seperately next time.

Schmed
04-05-2004, 03:04 PM
I 3 bet the flop. If he caps I call. A reasonable hand that you would be behind would be A2s. The question I would ask myself is, 'would this guy just call on the button with 99?' You said this was a crazy game. In a game like that I'm looking for a raise out of 99.

On the turn I check call. I would be a little concerned about a 2 and of course 99 would be in my mind.

The river I bet out and call a raise. I would probably put him on the A2 but I still think I just call the raise.

sthief09
04-05-2004, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it still cold-calling if you were the person to lead? I just called his raise to my bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's smooth calling. I fixed my mistake

good luck. keep posting.

Schmed
04-05-2004, 03:07 PM
I agree after reading your post that C/R the river is the way to go here.