PDA

View Full Version : I don't like it, but I don't know why

TylerD
04-05-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm grinding it out at the $1/$2 at Multi trying to clear the bonus before getting stuck into some SnGs. Comments appreciated.

Table is typical Party loose/passive with very little preflop raising.

TIA

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.50.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP3 raises, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

sthief09
04-05-2004, 02:39 PM
well there's a reason you don't like this. no one likes to be pushed around, and you continually got pushed around.

pre-flop- RAISE. no question. even if 5 people call you, that's good. you have a premium hand so push your edge by raising.
flop- 3-bet after you get raised. one flop raise shouldn't scare you
turn- bet
river- bet

the way I play this is I 3-bet the flop. if it just gets called, I'll bet the turn and river. if it gets capped, I'll probably bet into the turn and fold if raised.

another option is to call the raise on the flop and bet into the turn. if you get raised again, you can fold. but I like 3-betting, then betting the turn best. if you're going to call a bet, you might as well bet yourself.

and for future, 1/2 is considered micro limit

tripdad
04-05-2004, 03:01 PM
TylerD,

i think you only made 1 mistake, and that was not 3 betting the flop. the rest depends on how your opponent responds to that. if he caps, you can fold. if he calls, you bet out the rest of the way. if he folds(fat chance), you pop open a can of beer to celebrate your championship caliber play. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

the preflop limp was a good limp IMHO (you want JTs, KJ, QJ, etc to come along), though occasionally raising UTG is solid as well.

cheers!

sthief09
04-05-2004, 03:02 PM
KQs is an easy raise in games with weak players

tripdad
04-05-2004, 03:08 PM
it is a big mistake to assume that 1/2 limit is ALWAYS full of weak players.

i know i'll catch a lot of flack for this statement, but i really think too many posters on this forumn give too little credit to their opponents, no matter what limit they play.

for example, my best friend, who is a solid player, plays exclusively 1/2 party. not because he can't win at 2/4 or 3/6, but because his wife refuses to let him play higher limits unless it is b&amp;m.

cheers!

sfer
04-05-2004, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
KQs is an easy raise in games with weak players

[/ QUOTE ]

And with the CO posting 1.5 SBs.

PokerBob
04-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Looks good to me. Mono boards scare me, as you may be drawing SUPER slim.

Once he raised on the flop, I think check calling is the right move.

EDIT: After reading some other posts, I think I 3 bet the flop. If he caps, I get defensive and either muck or go into check/call mode. God am I a wimp.

If he just calls, bet the turn (even if a diamond falls). If he raises, give up the ghost

PokerBob
04-05-2004, 03:14 PM
I play Party 1/2, and I am weak.
Just look at my post for this hand. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

sthief09
04-05-2004, 03:15 PM
epitome of weak tight:

[ QUOTE ]
Mono boards scare me, as you may be drawing SUPER slim.

Once he raised on the flop, I think check calling is the right move.

[/ QUOTE ]

sthief09
04-05-2004, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it is a big mistake to assume that 1/2 limit is ALWAYS full of weak players.

i know i'll catch a lot of flack for this statement, but i really think too many posters on this forumn give too little credit to their opponents, no matter what limit they play.

for example, my best friend, who is a solid player, plays exclusively 1/2 party. not because he can't win at 2/4 or 3/6, but because his wife refuses to let him play higher limits unless it is b&amp;m.

[/ QUOTE ]

- one strong player does not make a table strong
- there are weak players everywhere you go. every party poker 1/2 table I've ever played at (and I've played a lot of Party 1/2) can be categorized as "weak"
- you cannot tell me that KQs is not worth a raise at Party Poker 1/2

Festus22
04-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Raise preflop.

I would then call the flop raise and bet out on the turn assuming no diamond.

PokerBob
04-05-2004, 03:21 PM
I agree. See my edit. I'm working on it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sthief09
04-05-2004, 03:23 PM
that's better /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TylerD
04-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your responses, I knew I should have put at least one more raise somewhere, the flop seems about right. I'm not a big fan of raising UTG with KQs preflop (especially as I just got 3 bet with it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) but I like your reasoning for doing it at Party 1/2 and I'll do it in future.

BTW: I won the pot.